Ford set to kill slow-selling Flex by 2020

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Nov 2, 2016.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

It does not surprise me.... can't even remember the last time I saw one driving. as one of the links mentions..... it's a oddball that even Ford owners prefer the Escape or Explorer. I'm on that band wagon and for me this happened in 2011 when my honey wanted a new Escape. Yes there was a Flex on the lot but it didn't do a thing for me, it was one of those you mite get used to the look but there is a better chance you will hate the look more and more seeing it in the driveway everyday. I also have to ad, I know nothing about the Flex and or it's consumer reviews. I also have to ad..... I'd never buy a new Escape today.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

No surprise...
    Ford never did market it very well...
    Dealers never seemed to have them on their lots....
    Went last year to get one but none of local dealers had one the way I wanted it...
    Then was told would be a six month wait to get one ordered...
    The only two things I didn't like about it is the uglyass dash and crappy gas mileage...

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's too bad. I think this is another example of a missed opportunity by FoMoCo. This car could have been a hot seller for them if it didn't look so downright boring. The performance is incredible and the SUV/Minivan alternative is great. They just swung and missed with the design in my opinion. I have often wondered what one of these would look like customized to incorporate something like a 64 Fairlane look. The square rear end would cause problems though...

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. flyingethan

flyingethan Flyingethan

Wagon Garage:
    I have a 2013 brown one with Vista windows and I love it. I also have a '70 Olds flat top wagon that I love too. But, the Flex is great for my family and I love driving it. I took it from Oklahoma to California this summer and my wife and four kids were never so comfortable. I wish the Flex would get some love on this site but whenever I have brought up the Flex people immediately start bashing on them. It's too bad because it's a good car, so far. About once a week someone comments on how they like the look of it when I am out getting gas or something. I am pretty sure that my kids will look back in 30 or 40 years and remember riding around in their dad's Flex the way I remember riding around in wagon's in the 70's and 80's. :)

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I am sorry to hear that.
    As you can probably tell from my previous comments, I always thought that the styling was boring. But I have always appreciated the car as a whole, mostly for the power the thing has and the fact that it is really the closest thing to a true American station wagon being produced today.
    I say post all you want to about your Flex. That's what makes this site unique, the variety of vehicles.

7. wagonfan63

wagonfan63 Well-Known Member

I think the name was a deterrent. Flex. What is that? Ford has some great heritage names they could have used. Wood siding as an option might have been a hit.

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I don't think that the 2012er had an ugly dash. Later ones, maybe. Kind of cheap-looking and plasicky. But, what isn't, these days? The other auto makers aren't better, in this regard. It would be nice to get one with a simple steering wheel and no gadgets. Just the basics, like in the good old days.
    The exterior lines are sober and clean. I like it. The shape reminds me of some Suzuki or whatever that Jap car that is that they sell in Europe. That's the part I don't like. But, I can live with it. Nobody is going to assemble cars exactly to my liking, anyway. There will always be something not to like.
    It seems, Ford isn't going to take chances with a few syling tweeks, to improve sales. Instead, they'll doom it to end up a contemporary Edsel.
    As far as milage goes, the vehicle is large and likely heavy. It doesn't even look aerodynamic. Would like to get windtunnel specs. Nothing comes from nothing. If fuel milage is desired, a turbo-Diesel 4 or V-6 combined with a raw egg between foot and gas pedal would be the answer.

[​IMG]

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  9. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Hahaha! There’s a reason it’s called “escape”. Someone trying to warn you! It should be called the “Ford, runaway”

101Volts likes this.
  10. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

I've always thought of the flex as a clean lined vehicle. Just a straight wagonesk type of thing. All ways thought I'd own one one day also. I don't it's going to happen as I've got a barn full now and need a truck first.

11. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I still live in the past so figured a vehicle named FLEX must be flexable and run on anything from used cooking oil to diesel fuel and electricity.
    Where we lived in Floriduu and here in Illinoiz I've seen very few of them. Obviously they won't sell if the dealerships don't stock them.
    I have mixed feelings. I suppose if an old red paving brick turns you on, a Flex will too. At least a Model T Ford had a few curves.
    I like the station wagon style but there seems to be a lot missing in looks, especially the front view.
    As for the dash, it looks like 90% of all late model dashes no matter what continent it was made.

12. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Here’s the thing no one has hit on. We are all classic car people. I have never bought a new car, doubt I ever will. It’s hard for us to fathom that anyone would appreciate the styling of todays vehicles. The kinda people who buy a brand new car probably think these cars looks “hip” and “innovative” these are the same people people who keep buying crossovers and congregate at Starbucks while they listen to the lastest pop garbage on their head phones and text each other about how great their pumpkin spice latte.

13. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Ummm hey now I hate pumpkin spice drinks. I still love the flex so :dizzy:

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

My honey's 2011 Escape has proven to be a very reliable unit, myself I would have liked it to bigger as in a bit longer but it has workable user friendly features....and the wifey likes it.

"Had" a loner once, here is our personal review............

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/threads/personal-review-2015-ford-escape.36187/

15. Grizz

Wagon Garage: