Ford Mavericks - are they feeling the love yet?

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jim535, Jan 25, 2013.

1. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

The '69 models are probably worth a lot of boolah if you can find one.;)

All I know is that they cost $1995 when they came out, along with every other human on earth at the time thanks to the Ford marketing department.
    They were girl and school teacher cars, the plain-jane four doors were used by school teacher nuns to go to the grocery store.:D

2. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Was your mother-in law happier to get the car gone or the daughter?:rofl2:

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Never owned one but several friends did because in high school they were a real cheap car to to get ahold of. Came close to getting a 72/3 Comet GT with a 302 but a friend girl friend beat me to it. Allways had a soft spot for them though, the small bumper ones. Just could never get used to the huge crash bumper look.

I have not touched this in years but way back I messed around with models. For the garage sale we had last summmer I sold all the kits that were collecting dust but kept a small few. This is a phantom BOSS 429 Comet kit bashed......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the Johan chassis is'nt all that great for detail
    [​IMG]

Took alot of "syferin" and cutting to get to the, almost ready for glue and primer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to move tha gas tank closer to the rear end... I cut it out and lost it, so I cast a new one from epoxy, I made the mold myself from another kit.
    [​IMG]

Not what the real deal looks like but I'm happy with it. Everything fits good, just needs some glue to keep the gaps closed.

[​IMG]

Hood is primer ready
    [​IMG]

A bit blurry... I think I'll use the Mustang dash. It fit in there with no mods.
    [​IMG]

I need another Mustang kit for the rad, front of motor, and the dual exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Remember, no glue...those carbs just wouldn't stay still....or was it my shakey hand.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have the rear bumper
    [​IMG]

Front spoiler is taped on for the pic, needs some mods/cut 'n' sand to fit rite. I'm also gona shave some off the base of the seats, they are just to high in there. [​IMG]

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The daughter, for sure! We were just borrowing her Maverick for the honeymoon because our '68 6-cyl Camaro wasn't exactly reliable.

5. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I always loved the Mavs from the moment they came out. I thought the styling was spot on. The Mustang II sort of grew on me. I didn't like them at first but that was primarily because it was called a mustang. On its own merits as a runabout coupe it was pretty good within the confines of the available engine development (thanks to EPA). Drop in a later 302 (a.k.a. 5.0) and they are quite nice IMO.

mike

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Done up right, I like them. A friend of ours bought one while in High School. It was Pea green with a 302 and 3 speed. I remember when we were going home my Dad (who grew up in the in the original muscle car era) said, " A Maverick? " like it was the last car on earth he would have thought a kid would think was cool.
    It is an original Grabber.
    He ended up painting it dark blue, blacking out the hood. and putting Shellby/Thunderbird tailights on it. It has nice 5 spoke wheels, a 4 speed and a nice sounding dual exhaust. Turned out real nice.
    Even my Dad is impressed. He thinks it looks cool.

7. Termite Free Woodie

Termite Free Woodie New Member

I never would have thought a Maverick or Comet would be collected by anyone. To me, they just sceamed econo and always had a funny interior smell to them.

But then in the sixties I would have never have thought anything would have been collected past 1969.

Post 73 railroad tie bumpers and 98-160 hp engines pretty much did in the collectible part of a car at least for me.

But then along comes the early 1970's and I start collecting and restoring 1950's-1960's station wagons!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh: :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

8. mugzilla

mugzilla B F H er

Wagon Garage:
    The days of buying a donor v8 disc brake mav, to put stuff in a comet/falcon are over.

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I think that a car has entered into the minds of car nuts as more than just a simple mode of transportation when Hotwheels comes out with a version. My some got a Grabber Maverick in a set with a Torino and Mustang for Christmas.
    [​IMG]