First year teacher, new wagon owner seeks community

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by texapianoman, Oct 26, 2018.

1. texapianoman

texapianoman New Member

I'm a first-year teacher located in central Arkansas, and I've recently been offered (for free) a one-owner 1988 Mercury Colony Park wagon. 140,000 miles. She ain't perfect, but it's in pretty decent shape. 5.0 EFI engine, and has a recent head gasket leak. I mean, it's a pretty major oil leak. I've driven it, though, and everything right down to cruise still works. I hope to pick it up this weekend, but I already know of a few things she'll need. Is it too early in the ballgame to make requests? At the moment, I know I'll need a driver's side tail light lens. Were I to replace the wood siding, what are my best options? Best procedure with refinishing/vinyl dye on interior plastic? Too many questions? Thanks for taking the time to read all this! Any and all information is appreciated.
    -Daniel

VangoatNC and fannie like this.
  2. texapianoman

texapianoman New Member

Here she is, by the way.

Attached Files:

Grizz likes this.
  3. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome texapianoman! Nice looking wagon!

4. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    "Free" is most always good, unless you are talking STD's or something. :) Welcome to the forum! Explore around and post your requests in the "Parts Wanted" section to et more visibility.

fannie likes this.
  5. BrianandaPTCruiser

BrianandaPTCruiser Member

Holy crap! That nice for free! I'm living wrong, I guess.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome, Daniel.
    Back in 1989, I had to pay a few thousand for one of those (a '84...), and it burned up on me 10 days later......

Let's address your questions:
    1. You need to take care of the head gasket issue right away, before you are doing any more driving. You stand the danger of coolant leaking into your oil, diluting it, and ruining your crankshaft bearings. You will need to do BOTH head gaskets. This COULD be a job you could do at home. Check around for videos on how to do it. Here's one I found that specifically refers to the proper orientation for the head gaskets. You don't want to put them in backwards (which is possible)

2. Tail light lens: This one's easy - find a local 'Pick-A-Part junkyard for most of your parts needs. Check around locally, and find out who likes to stock old Fords. You can also advertise in our 'parts wanted' section ,and you may get a hit. You could also throw up a mention on your 'profile' signature line, that way we'll ALL see what you're looking for. You can also join a Ford Crown Vic / Mercury Grand Marquis - specific forum, like this one:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/

3. Wood Grain: I wouldn't worry about this one right now. Wash the wagon, then shine it up with some Pledge. You can look into getting the wood grain replaced down the road.

4. Dye for interior fabrics / plastics: Best place to go is S.E.M. --
    https://www.66autocolor.com/car-interior-spray-paint-s/213.htm

- There's also a company in Portland, Oregon called S,M.S. for auto upholstery fabrics. they've pretty much got EVERYTHING...
    https://smsautofabrics.com/

Good luck with your wagon!

Marshall

fannie likes this.
  7. texapianoman

texapianoman New Member

Thanks for all the information, Marshall! I've posed in the wanted section, and I think I'l have to give that crown vic/grand marquis forum a shot. I plan on replacing the head gaskets myself in the garage, and I haven't driven it at all since the one test-drive. My first car was a 63 Monterey Breezeway with an old 390, so I've gained some engine rebuild experience from that and others along the way.

8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]

SWEET! AND FREE...EXCELLENT.

Welcome aboard.

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard! That's a nice looking wagon. I've been a first year teacher myself, and can empathize with you. Still. my favorite price for anything is free. so you're off to a good start!

texapianoman likes this.
  10. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, there are few of us that have panther platform Colony Parks on here. I am on my 2nd CP - have to agree with Krash - get the head gasket replaced, the other "unknown" issue that only Ford/Mercury folks know about is the
    AOD throttle valve cable bushing - its a small plastic grommet that attaches to your throttle cable, they break without warning and will tear up your transmission in less than 10 minutes. there are you tube videos on how to replace. you need to replace! cheap fix to prevent huge repair. Lost my trans on my 89 CP back in 91 - cost about 2 grand to fix back then
    there are others but here's 1 - https://k-mansparts.com/ford-aod-throttle-valve-cable-bushing-brass-replacement-detail.htm

11. texapianoman

texapianoman New Member

Woah...thanks for the heads up! Definitely looking into that. I hope to bring her home this coming weekend. I'll post more pictures (and more questions, I'm sure) when that happens.
    Got any pointers or contacts for a driver's side taillight lens..? N0t having much luck as of yet.

12. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    just keep checking eBay

13. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    On that AOD overdrive bushing someone on here mentioned they make one that’s brass? I think? Big upgrade from the plastic. I may have that taillight lens somewhere but it’s for and 87’. Wonder if they’re the same? Welcome!

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Brass is certainly an improvement. The only reason why the factory doesen't use it is that it's expensive. If all such parts were made of brass, that would also add substantial weight, if that matters

15. texapianoman

texapianoman New Member

That would fit! If you have a moment, send me a message.