Clamshell Tailgate Motor Replacement

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Bretho, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Bretho

Bretho Paul

Wagon Garage:
    Hi, I have a 74 Caprice Estate Wagon, and the motor for the tailgate has burnt out (there was a short and it stayed on till it completely fried). I am in Australia and I recently had the top glass motor rebuilt which cost a fortune, but now this motor is beyond repair. On trolling the internet I noticed that Chevy Blazers and Suburbans seem to use the same motor, but the images I saw look like the gears are on the wrong side. Also saw on good old Ebay a "Tailgate Window Motor-Tailgate Window Lift Motor Cardone 42-21" that requires a changeover, but that also looks the wrong way around. Is there a model/ car that I can source the motor from?

2. Safariguy

Safariguy Member

Hi Mate,
    I had a burned out window motor myself and managed to find a high torque 12 volt Gate motor, which can rotate in both directions, cut axle to fit the small gearbox and refit to sparewheel well as its the size of large dog food tin, the cable should you need one is the same as blazer tailgate window cable, Square fit wire.

Hope it helps,

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I had a ‘73 Olds Custom Cruiser at one time, and I had an issue with the power tailgate. The problem turned out to be related to the wiring, not the motor, but I did take the panels out to see the motor.

I’m not 1000% certain, but I’m about 99% certain, that the tailgate motor is the same as the motor used for the power windows. Two different motors are used for the power windows because of left- and right-handedness, one motor fits the right front and left rear doors on a four-door car, and the other motor fits the left front and right rear. You want the first one, the motor that fits the right front/left rear.

That’s Cardone part number 4213 for a remanufactured unit. They seem to be hard to come by as several vendors, including Rockauto, show them as out of stock. But if you hunt around, you might find one because people are looking for replacement window motors much more often than they’re looking for power tailgate motors for a clamshell wagon.

Here’s the appropriate part at O’Reilly. It’s not clear that they actually have it in stock as it says “call store to order.” I don’t know what this means for getting a part to Australia.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-1974-chevrolet-caprice?q=cardone+82013&pos=1

Screenshot 2024-06-09 111956.jpg