Back after a LOOOONG hibernation.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by carguyray, Dec 31, 2022.

1. carguyray

carguyray Crazy Car Collector

Greetings. I probably haven't been on here for a decade or more, but in that time I've only sold one of my wagons so I wanted to get back into it. I tend to focus on a car or 3 at a time (of my 24 I'm down to) so I end up spending time on the sites for the cars I'm dealing with, not general sites. But recently I've gotten 2 of my wagons fixed up nicely and I'm to the point where I think I'm going to likely sell my bone stock, rust free, 76 Pontiac Safari. I've got my 73 Town & Country, 94 Roadmaster Limited, and 05 Magnum RT (w/40K one owner miles), and I know it's time to start thinning out the collection.

I wanted to get back on here to get updated on things like parts, trends, ideas, and more for my other ones and hope to leave the Safari to someone who can take it to the point they want.

While I'm not posting this as an ad yet, I wanted to get back in touch with other clamshell owners at the least and find out how they're weathering the wagon hype of the recent year(s).

I'm located outside of Portland, OR. and if anyone is in the area that wants to share stories or convene at a NON Saturday car event in the spring I'l love to get in touch. I haven't shown any of my cars in about 6 or more years and with all the work I've been doing on some of them it's about time.

Thanks for the reintroduction time as I emerge from all the cobwebs in the corner.
    RJay. 76 Safari Large.jpeg EF4A4C06-C723-4C43-B8C2-27610999C1EB-L0-001.jpeg 05RT.jpg

fannie likes this.
  2. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:back!
    From the other side of the river.

3. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

From what I've been reading, Portland has become quite car-unfriendly. Being located outside might do. But when you have to go to town, it would be best to drive some old beater into there, due to the recent lawlessness tolerated there.
    That Safari looks like it needs a loving home, somewhere salt-free

4. carguyray

Hey Steve. Thanks and DAMN!!! Not only a GLM, but a Safari to boot??? WOW! I didn't know I lived so close to such rarity. Fantastic build and pictorial history! I can't wait to see it some day. Also, yeah, we ended up going dual EV's in the family so you (well, and I) have more fuel to have fun with, ENJOY! :thumbs2:

Here's a pic of my 4th Wagon.

73 n 76.jpg

fannie and Doghead like this.
  5. carguyray

Hey Dog. Well, first I have to say the "I've read", or "I've heard" statements always seem to be followed by a lot of misinformation in general, especially for Portland and a few other cities. 1) I only drive my new (2021 and 2022) cars in the city 'cause the biggest "unfriendly" part to cars is the tiny parking spaces and I've never had to worry about them there. 2) I refuse to be one of those that parks my 20' car in a compact space just "cause I want to". Heck, my 2nd DD is a 95 Caddy SDV and I try not to drive that into the cramped spaces.

As for the Safari, YES!!! I want to be sure it goes to the RIGHT person, not just put it on some auction (if I can help it) so I'll know that it'll continue to be safe and sound. It lived the first, roughly 1/3, of its life as a 'work wagon' hauling stuff on a ranch so that's why it was bought as a stripped model. Beyond that the next owner knew what it was and saved it and when he was ready to sell I was the first caller to say "I'm a collector and I love the old Clamshell's". The others were all about pulling the engine for their various other Pontiac projects. So, he said, it was only going to me. I know it needs some minor body work (badly repaired dent in a door, paint fade), but it's in amazing condition and could be used for a few different things (donor to a rust bucket that's loaded, a perfect RARITY like those who now restore older "post" cars now, etc). I've had this car longer than I can remember (somewhere mid 2000's I think) and it's always been on my 'restore' list. However, after putting a ton of money into 5 other cars (each needing 'just a bit' to be perfect or nearly) I'm not sure I can keep so many huge cars. Storage space sucks LOL.

Peace and thanks for the thoughts, keep your fingers crossed with me for the "salt free new home". :cheers:

Doghead likes this.
  6. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

There's less to go wrong, with one of those. Like they say, "Less is more".
    The last time I was in one of those, it was in a loaded '71 Grandeville 4-door hardtop with the 455. Any photos of a strip-down would be appreciated
    :bowdown:, being that these must have been rare. I'm assuming, it doesen't even have an AM radio?

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome back.

:wave:

8. carguyray

Let's hope more people feel the "less to go wrong" along with you!

It does have the AM radio which, as I saw in the brochure should have been standard, and while I'm shocked (must have just been put on?) there is a full power tailgate, so if it's going to have one option for the year, THAT'S the one I would want!

It's currently in a heated storage I hate to open up in this weather (mine isn't the only car in there), but I'm going to have to move it in a bit anyway so I'll be sure to get some more pix to post. Heck, if I have some time soon I'll just do it right and put up an album.

Thanks all!
    RJay

Doghead likes this.
  9. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome back Ray! and thanks for sharing your collection!

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome back RJay.