Advice Needed On Fabricating New Tailgate Torsion Bar For 1965 Ford Country Sedan

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by SquiggleDog, Apr 29, 2020.

1. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

My roommate owns a 1965 Ford Country Sedan, and I'm the mechanic. He got it 15 years ago and it was his daily driver for several years. But, some issues have come up that I'm trying to straighten out so it can be put back to use.
    DSC07043.JPG

Since the vehicle spent most of its life in Washington (originally owned by the American Red Cross) and the tailgate doesn't have any drains, the bottom of it rusted out, as did the torsion bar, which snapped in half. Someone also threw a rock at the rear window glass, but he was able to purchase a new piece from a glass shop back in the Northwest.
    IMAG7461.jpg

We spent several years searching for a replacement tailgate, but they always seem to be the first thing to go on cars that get parted out. He was fortunate enough to find a new old stock one on eBay, though it apparently has dents filled with body filler from the factory? It's in red primer, has the Ford part number on it, and needs the holes for the emblems drilled in it.
    IMAG7459.jpg

Here is the torsion bar, but part of it broke off and has been lost.
    IMAG7476.jpg

The Ford part number for the torsion bar is 7143012, but unfortunately it seems you can't find many parts for these cars, new or used.
    IMAG7483.jpg

So, at this point I think I'll need to fabricate a new one out of 7/16" steel rod. But, I have no idea what properties the steel needs to have in order for it to work correctly. Hot rolled or cold rolled? Does it need to be heat treated afterward? I'd hate to go through all the work of making one and then having it bend out of shape and fatigue, since it's intended to twist and help the tailgate not feel so heavy when opening and closing it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    101Volts likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Where have you checked with, for a new one? Have you contacted places that make springs, to see if a new one can be fabbed? Have you looked at newer designs, such as the '70s Intermediate and '80s Panther wagons, or even '70s/'80s sedan trunk bars, could be reworked and substituted? As far as NOS parts, I suggest Green Sales Co. in Ohio for obsolete Ford parts.

101Volts likes this.
  3. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

We've checked with Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, and eBay. None of the auto wreckers that have these cars seem to have any with a tailgate. I haven't checked with any places that make springs, but to be honest, there isn't a lot of money in the budget, either. We were hoping we could just get some steel rod from The Home Depot and bend it to shape with a mapp gas torch. I don't have access to any other old cars to check the torsion bars on them. Thanks for the advice.

101Volts likes this.
  4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

That ain't gonna happen. The rod needs to be spring steel in its annealed state to do the bends. Then heat treated and tempered.

101Volts likes this.
  5. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Thanks. I suspected it was something like this. So, that option is out.

101Volts likes this.
  6. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Green Sales Co. is out of stock of the torsion bar. I guess it's just going to have to not have one. I'm just hoping we can at least figure out a rear window seal for it so the new tailgate doesn't fill up with water and rust out again.

101Volts likes this.
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The tailgate needs to have drain holes, whether it had ones from the factory or not. As for the torsion rod, check newer vehicles to see if any of those will fit.

101Volts likes this.
  8. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Unfortunately, the lowest spot on the tailgate is the pinch weld, so it will fill up with water no matter what. Poor design. But, drain holes will at least keep more than about an inch of water from pooling up. 1966 and newer torsion bars won't work. The local classic car auto wrecker here just got in what appears to be a non-rusty 1965 Ford wagon, but they haven't responded to my email yet. Getting responses from wreckers can be like pulling teeth and I usually get answers like, "There's nothing good on that car."

9. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would coat the inside of the tailgate with Rust Encapsulator or POR-15 and call it good. Why won't a '66+ torsion bar work?

Grizz likes this.
  10. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

In 1966 they switched to a tailgate that drops down and also swings away. The 1965 torsion bar goes through the outside of the tailgate and attaches to the body. The 1966 torsion bar is completely contained inside the tailgate.

11. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

In this ad from 1965, you can see the torsion bar sticking out of the tailgate and attached to the body on the right side.
    photo_2020-04-26_15-21-38.jpg

In 1966 it does not stick out, so it wouldn't work.
    custom_1966_ford_galaxie08.jpg

12. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I had a thought. Sedans with large trunks used double torsion bars to hold them up. I think clear up into the 80's or 90's. Seems like all makes used them. Perhaps you could find some of those and adapt them to your situation. If the bends were close, you could make yours using them by cutting and welding to get the correct length.

13. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

In 66 the torsion bar sticks out of the left side where it hooks on the lower hinge assy,
    [​IMG]
    Flipping one around and just altering the end " as Old Fox suggests" to bolt to the body may be your answer.

14. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Thanks for that diagram. I was curious how they made it work in 1966. Unfortunately, it's too short on the left side, and the right side is the part I'm missing--which sticks out far and hooks on the body in 1965. I wonder if welding two together would cause any problems with the twisting action.

15. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Desert Valley Auto Parts in Casa Grande had a 1965 Ford wagon. I went there and they told me at first that they didn't have it, which was really disappointing as I had just driven 1.5 hours to get there. But, I pressed them, and it turns out they still had it. Unfortunately, the car was super rusty. I was going to buy the entire tailgate, but it was rusted and the attachment parts were even worse than the ones we have.

The torsion bar was still intact, but heavily cratered, so it's on borrowed time. I also got the tailgate trim panel to use as a patch panel for the one my roommate has. Because I was also buying a piece of chrome trim, they gave a heavy discount on the torsion bar and trim panel due to the poor condition. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.
    IMAG7556.jpg IMAG7557.jpg

So... we might explore using the torsion bar I just picked up as a pattern to have a spring shop make a new one. Otherwise, we'll just use it until it snaps, I suppose. Oh... when the yard worker was unbolting the torsion bar from the body, it hit him right in the nuts. Poor guy.