78-83 Malibu Rear Spring Options?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by irace2win41, Nov 21, 2010.

1. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

I've got an 80 Malibu 4 door wagon that I want to lower about 2 1/2 inches in the rear. I would like a higher spring rate than stock and something easier to get and deal with. Has anyone done a front spring type (ie S10 front coil springs) on the rear? Will only be towing light trailers under 2000lbs gross, but would like a stiffer rear than stock.

Mine is up on jackstands as we speak and I have to do this quick. This is my daily driver (or at least will be)... The current stock springs are totally shot. I'm putting 5660's on the front and cutting one coil. The rear I'm a bit baffled about.

Will be adding 17 inch wheels on the rear with 16's on the front....

Here's what it looked like when I picked her up Friday. The process begins........:dancing:

[​IMG]

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The front springs won't fit on the rear and are much higher in spring rate anyway. Your better choice would be a set of Air Lift bags that go inside the springs.

3. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

Thanks for the reply. The G body double pigtail springs won't work for me. I want to lower the rear 2-3 inches over stock. I've heard that F body springs will work. I'm thinking Moog 5661. Thoughts.........

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    punch ..."G body lowering springs" into google....tons of info

SuspensionTechniques
    Eibach
    Belltech

5. irace2win41

irace2win41 New Member

I agree. I've already done that for the last several days. I was looking for a less expensive option and something that would give me other options (ie cutting springs, etc). I've ordered a set of Moog 5660's for the front and 5661 for the rears. The 5661 is an F body option with a single pigtail and may give me some other options later. Will not know for sure what I really need until I mount wheels and tires.

Right now the car is up on stands and I'm taking off all the front suspension to rebuilt it and then may just pull the V6 while it's apart. This is a great time to paint the engine compartment and do the swap. Have to see how the money holds out.....

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: