63 mercury colony park 4 barrel carburetor recommendation

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Montereycolonypark, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Montereycolonypark

Montereycolonypark New Member

Hey guys, hows everyone? So Ive began work on my 63 mercury monterey wagon and it was converted to run on a 4 bbl now and i was wondering what type of holley 4bbl carburetor would be best for it. I would like to have one that has a single pumper rather than double pumpers since its going to be my daily driver. And I want one thats manual choke rather than electronic choke. But tell me what you guys think and ill do some research on the types of Holleys you recommend me to run it on. Thanks guys, mike

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It depends on a couple things--is the intake a squarebore or spreadbore? What exact displacement is the engine, and have you modified it from stock? Holleys aren't the only game in town, and since whichever carb you use will need to be adapted, just look at the different makes and styles that are available.

3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like Edelbrock.
    It's made by Weber and is a bolt on and drive. Been running one for many years now.

4. Montereycolonypark

Well, thank goodness i took a pic of the engine and it looks like shes a squarebore intake for sure. But ill look in to Edelbrocks Jairus, but my dad was recommeding me to get a holley 4bbl because you know how simple most Holleys are to repair and rebuild. Im more familiar with holleys since thats all dad has ever worked on was only Holleys. But its a Edelbrock intake mainfold, not the original one. But i think the old man that had it before me was only going to convert it over to a 4bbl to get more power. But i have very high doubts the old man was going to soup it up as a speed demon. But ill be looking at carburetors and come back and see what you guys think about them. Thanks for the advice, Mike

Attached Files:

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yeah, it's looking like a squarebore, but there are plates that'll both raise the carb up higher, and also adapt a spreadbore to a squarebore intake. The problem with most Holleys built for aftermarket is that they are for performance, not economy or grunt, with the exception of the Autolite/Holley carbs Ford used. I would think a 4100 would give you a measure of economy, with the stock Ford design giving you some originality. This is the Autolite Holley 4100 I'm referring to: IMG_20181015_122019662.jpg

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Screenshot_20181015-123008.png That particular carb would give you an original look to the engine, and of course, will fit the correct corresponding factory air cleaner.

Edit: found a used early '60s T-bird unit under $100, but I'm having trouble posting the URL, so give me a minute, I'll find a workaround.
    Had to go with a screenshot so you know what to look for. $85 is a very good price for a rebuildable carb.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

All the other 4100s listed were rebuilt, with steep prices for cars people are restoring.

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Hey Monter, where do you live? I have an old Holley 4 barrel laying around. Everything else I have is 2 barrel.
    Andrew, do you think this might work for him? carb pics 010.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

"'WHY' do you live?" Are you letting Autocorrect control your life again? :bigsmile:

Yes, if it's jetted closely to what he has, it should work. I would assume a rebuild will happen before installing.

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Should have said "where" do you live. So, yes, I suppose laziness and auto-correct are to blame.

As far as the carbinator goes, yes, a rebuild would definitely be in order.

11. Montereycolonypark

I live in Tampa, Fl Orthmann, and dont worry about the misspelling, my phone doesnt correct me also and i have to make sure i pay attention to my typing;). But im glad i heard about what Silver twinkie hobo said about these modern Holleys, that they focus on performance rather than fuel economy. So Im positive i need to find a old stock 4 bbl for my wagon. Thats a good lookin 4bbl in the picture too by the way. And thank you silver twinkie hobo for the carburetor help/ recommendation.
    Mike

12. Montereycolonypark

Well im back guys and i found a very nice autolite 4100 on ebay and bought it and she will be at my place in 8 days. It came out of a thunderbird with a 390 so it should work. And one question, i read that the 4100s are different sizes. Can any 4100 fit on a 390? It seems like it doesnt say since it said they were on 390s. Just wanting to check with you guys. Let me know more info about it. Thanks again,
    Mike

13. Montereycolonypark

Oh to let you guys know i ran the number on the carburetor and it came out of a thunderbird with a 390 so i guess im good. Thank god i got the right carburetor for my wagon;)

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

The venturi bore sizes differ on all carbs depending on displacement. But for factory stock, a carb for a 390 is usable on most 390s.

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

But it'll look sweet and clean with that 4100.