3M Di-Noc Woodgrain patterns..

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by Krash Kadillak, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    If they are going to make all these patterns for signs....why don't they just copy all the wagon designs and make up those too??? None of these would have matched my Buick. And will these work on a car? The woodgrain pattern and textire on a car is critical to look right and I still have not seen an actual match anywhere.:(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Hey members, I am repeating myself here, but I think with good info. I have samples of the current 3M Di-Noc and there are a few problems that IMO make it a poor choice for wagons: 1. As Fox points out, there are many patterns, but none that replicate what's on the original woody wagons. 2.it is too thick to mold correctly to compound curves around wheel openings, etc., even with heating, etc. 3. It has a very dull finish which makes it look cheap. Most original stuff had some level of gloss and reflectivity before the salt, heat and sun ate away at it. The replacement stuff from woodgrain4wagons is very high gloss and somewhat blurry up close - still easier to work with, though, and presents an overall decent look.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't understand that either, Mike. With so many patterns, what's the problem making a few more that match the original stuff?

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup...that's my point, KK. And print it on the original material. I understand the weak marketing position...there aren't THAT many people that would buy specific patterns in large numbers. Still, it would pay for itself over time and they would have a lock on the market. And word of mouth among car enthusiasts would be a great positive for them!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
  7. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

The new Di-Noc is too heavy and doesn't work well as said, it's more for flat signs and things like office cubicle dividers, it's way too heavy and dull for cars. The 3M High Performance film is what they digitally print the woodgrain you need for wagons on and 3M just sells the film, they don't do the printing.
    Stripeman carries the wagon woodgrain with the lines now along with the regular type as usual.

http://www.stripeman.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Graphics&Category_Code=WGD

8. EdR

EdR New Member

3M Di-Noc

I am very happy with the 3M product I got from Metro Restyling. Marine Teak was the closest color to the original. No issues with installation. 100_3661.jpg

9. azblackhemi

azblackhemi Well-Known Member

Just West of Phoenix Arizona. In the Desert.
    This looks like my best bet for my 81 Plymouth wagon. Has anyone here used this product? I can do it with about $800 worth of material. Has anybody come across any better product or price?

10. Longroof79

Longroof79 Well-Known Member

11. Gregpenn

Gregpenn Member

12. 53Plymouth

53Plymouth Member

I have NOS replacement vinyl direct from Ford I purchased years ago. It is still in excellent condition in the cardboard tubes it came in from Ford. I now want to replace the woodgrain on my 1965 Squire. This particualr product does not have any adhesive . You have to soak it in water for a few mintues, remove the backing and then apply. Question is what adhesive do I use with this product? This is a perfect match for original and I would like to be bale to use this product. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any advice for removing the old, checkered, wood grain and adhesive?

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I've seen heat guns, hair dryers, and clothes irons combined with a terry cloth towel used to heat up the adhesive for peeling.