1991 Crown Vic airbag module

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by FalconFuturaWagon, Jul 31, 2020.

1. FalconFuturaWagon

FalconFuturaWagon FordFan

Wagon Garage:
    I watched a video about replacing the thermal fuse last night...interesting.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

But, if pressed to, could you?

3. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure if my skill level would repair the module or trash it. I've got a couple of "electrical" friends that could coach me. Watching the other (Mazda Miata) video, it sounds like the capacitors might have leaked and would need replacing in addition to the thermal fuse. Before I attempt the repair, I'd want to get the old module out so I could order the correct parts. I think I'd also buy a used module in case my attempt at a repair is not successful. I don't plan to do anything until I take it for the state inspection on Monday. If I can get the inspection sticker, I can at lease drive the car while I work on the module. I've been wanting this wagon for several years and I want to drive it without getting a ticket!

Maybe my shop manual will come early next week, too.

4. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    I also need to find a way to troubleshoot the system to see what occurred to blow the fuse in the first place. That needs to be corrected before I but a new/repaired module in place. I need to find out if you can troubleshoot the system without powering the system up.

5. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't have much to add, just that I have a 1990 Grand Marquis Wagon (which also has the air bag, the air bag was a 90 and 91 feature) so I'm interested in this thread. I wonder if there are any differences between the air bags for the Ford and Mercury models, and if there are any differences in the air bags between the 90 and 91 years.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Other than running changes (connector designs, improvements), they should be the same. I'd need to see a wiring diagram to see what could be the possible cause.

101Volts likes this.
  7. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    Finally got the manual. There are page after page descriptions on the airbag codes and how to troubleshoot them. Going to have to study that closely before I dig into it.

I've got a home maintenance project to finish and I think I'll tackle the parking brake problem before the airbag. I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

101Volts likes this.
  8. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    I got the plastic cladding under the DS of the dash off this morning while working on the emergency brake issue. I can now see two components of the airbag system.

The first photo is looking up behind the emergency brake mechanism. I think the blue box is the side sensor for the airbag.

The second photo is to the right of the steering wheel. I think the black box is the chime module and the blue box above it is the airbag control module. I'm not playing around with either of these items now...still have the power hooked up.

I want to remove the PS kick panel to see if the backup power supply is there. IMG_7675.jpg IMG_7677.jpg

101Volts likes this.
  9. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    Nothing obvious behind the PS kick panel...except the typical miles of wiring harnesses!

I'm having second thoughts about the first picture above. Are the sensors blue or just the control module and power supply?

I have a picture/parts list I downloaded from Lakeland Ford in FL. It shows a sensor somewhere near the DS kick panel and a reserve energy module (backup power supply) near the PS kick panel. Both parts show Ford parts numbers. The shop manual agrees with the picture from Lakeland Ford on the sensor locations but doesn't really show the backup power supply.

I cannot see anything that looks like a sensor or power supply behind the PS kick panel. The only thing I can see behind the DS kick panel is the blue box (the first picture in the previous post).

101Volts likes this.
  10. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    I'm still alive. The mechanic that I'm trying to get to help troubleshoot the airbag has not been available. He works as a mechanic full time and moonlights in the evenings/weekends. He was tied up with another project two weeks ago and his son was sick last weekend. I'm going to try again this weekend.

I did replace the airbag warning light when I replaced the vacuum valve on the parking brake. That silenced the irritating chime (5 dings...5 times in a row) at start up and about every 20 minutes as you were driving down the road. The warning light now blinks all the time but it is hidden behind my left hand when driving...big improvement.

101Volts and 60Mercman like this.
  11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Have you removed the glove box, looked at the end of the dashboard? Sometimes, descriptions can be somewhat vague ('near PS kick panel,' rather than 'behind dash, above kick panel'), so a bit of extra searching may yield results.

101Volts likes this.
  12. FalconFuturaWagon

Wagon Garage:
    I have not checked there yet. I'll put that on my list.

I read somewhere that both the airbag control module and the backup/emergency power supply should be blue to help identify them. Can anybody verify that? If so, it seems like my backup power supply is behind the DS kick panel...see the first photo a few posts ago. That is looking behind the DS kick panel. The second picture above is the control module with the warning chime module under it.

101Volts likes this.