1989 Buick Electra water leak

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by modernmilwaukee, May 13, 2020.

1. modernmilwaukee

modernmilwaukee Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I got the car there had definitely been a leak in the third row area, musty smell and rusty seat belts... I suspect the roof rack is leaking? Maybe? Anyone experience this?

2. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Um, I think EVERYONE has this problem...

The seals between my roof rack and my roof are all cracked and broken, and I haven't found replacements anywhere.

If I can't find any before the next rainy season starts, I'm gonna go crazy with clear silicone...

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

RV places have foam rubber stripping that is for attaching the top railings and ladders; it would work for sealing your roof rack. The last time I bought any, was at Camping World in Fife.

4. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hrmmmm…

I did some looking. Are you talking about something like this?
    https://www.campingworld.com/superflex-butyl-tape-34quot;-x-60'-80296.html

Camping World doesn't have a wide variety, but other RV places carry butyl tape in a bunch of different widths.

So, you just unscrew the rails, ditch the plastic seals that are there, cut butyl tape to size and screw it back down?

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'm not sure, but I think it's different from what I'm talking about, although I think this would also work. This is mainly for sealingair vents, A/C units, etc., and the stuff I used was a foam, kind of like camper/canopy tape, which could also work.

6. smparr

smparr Member

Wagon Garage:
    Where is your leak coming out. My 1990 CC could be the same. Mine comes down by the passenger side quarter window rear lower corner into the spare tire well on one side. The other side drips dead center top of the window from under the roof interior molding. I just can't figure out if the driver's side is the window or the rack.

7. modernmilwaukee

modernmilwaukee Member

Wagon Garage:
    Since I've had the car it's been garaged, but the carpet has definitely been wet at some point, the third row belts have some rust too. When I brought it home the storage cubbie on the drivers side had standing water. My windows seem to not leak, I think it's the rack.