1988 Buick Electra Estate

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Mar 5, 2013.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Lawyer time!!

2. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

I agree, however, I know that lawyers cost money, which is hard to justify regarding a $1600 station wagon.

Let me make a suggestion that is not in jest at all! "Judge Judy" tapes in Los Angeles. I have seen her tear apart eBay cheaters. You can do it yourself. The facts and the law are on your side. You have a valid contract to buy the Buick, and the fact that the dealer still advertises the car for sale on the web at twice the contract price only strengthens your position! This dealer's actions are both illegal and unethical.

Please don't give up. We forum members are pulling for you. I know I am!

There are other tools at your disposal such as EXTREMELY negative feedback on eBay as well as a call to your local Better Business Bureau!

JWD

3. alphues

alphues New Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    As I expected no returned call from the "boss":rofl: But now the fun begins. Time to open a "Can of Wup Ass":jumping: A call to the B. A. R. netted this info:

vin:1G4BV81Y4JA400728

Vehicle Information Test Only Directed StatusProgram AreaNOBasic
    Number of Tests Found = 4
    03/13/2013 03:14 p.m. F
    03/21/2008 01:11 p.m. F
    04/28/2006 11:13 a.m. P cert.#GD374167C
    04/14/2004 02:41 p.m P cert.#FJ734267C
    Test Records MakeModelYearDate / TimePass / FailCertificateBUICKELECTRA198803/13/2013 03:14 p.m.F BUICKELECTRA198803/21/2008 01:11 p.m.F BUICKELECTRA198804/28/2006 11:13 a.m.PGD374167CBUICKELECTRA198804/14/2004 02:41 p.m.PFJ734267CBUICKELECTRA198804/14/2004 02:13 p.m.F BUICKELECTRA198803/26/2002 04:10 p.m.PEN641923CBUICKELECTRA198803/22/2000 04:10 p.m.PDT118915CBUICKELECTRA WGN198804/02/1998 03:53 p.m.PCK787128C

Pass/Fail Code Definitions: P=Pass, F=Fail, A=Aborted,
    T=Failed test with Emission Device found to be Tampered.
    *A "Blank" column can also indicate an aborted test.

Note that in 2008 it failed smog and 5 years later it failed again. Which means that it has not been tagged for 5 years!!!

I also contacted the DMV Dealer Licensing Division and faxed them a copy of the ebay auction showing a clear title was offered. They have started an investigation into WDC Exports bussiness practices.

Tomorrow a friend of mine is going to stop at the dealership to see if the car is still for sale.

I will keep you all informed:):)

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well....just with the knowledge that the car is still for sale is enough for me.
    There are a LOT of car forums out there and I will be visiting them with the information about the illegal and unethical practices of WDC and to stay away from them. That should reach the foreign market, as well, where it seems they like to sell their cars. I hope everyone else here does the same. I want to put these guys out of business. They can be thankful that I and my friends don't live closer to them.

5. Smilinpat

Smilinpat New Member

I suspect that part of the problem involves the lack of the smog certificate.

California law requires the seller to provide a smog certificate less than 90 days old on model years beginning 1976.

I bet if the buyer had been from out of state, they would have rolled it since it wouldn't be retitled/registered in California.

Another issue might be back Department of Motor Vehicle fees. You'll see guys listing vehicles that have overdue fees stating they won't sell them to California buyers.

6. alphues

Wagon Garage:
    Per ebay instructions I sent this to the seller:

Dear wdcesales,

hello I was told by Jerry on 03/13/2013 that I would get a call back RE the status of the 1988 Buick Estate wagon on Thursday,03/14/2013. It is now Friday @4:45PM 03/15/2013 and still no call. I am trying to pick up and pay for the car that I won on ebay auction #140927336255. Please call me back @ 661-332-9854 thank you James Swank

- alphues

they have 5 days to respond:rofl::rofl:

when I called both numbers went to voice mail:)

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The car will likely be long gone by then. In my opinion....you are taking this too lightly and as sort of a joke. This isn't funny to me but different people take things in a different way.
    It is beyond my comprehension why you have not gone to GET the car instead of playing email and phone tag.

8. alphues

Wagon Garage:
    I guess they must be feeling a little heat:) Just got off the phone with Jerry. He said that the they dropped the gas tank and had it cleaned, new plugs,wires,oil change, carb overhaul with new sensors. Now it runs great and I can go down Monday morning and pick it up. As far as the title goes I told him to have duplicate ownership papers signed with a statement of facts form stating " buyer demand title" It's a little known rule that allows the buyer to go to the DMV with the title instead of waiting on the dealer to transfer the paperwork.;)

If all goes as planned I will have it Monday. Today the owners manual and Fisher body manual arrived in the mail. If only the car was this easy.

Thanks Silverfox and the rest of you for helping out.:1st:

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
  10. alphues

Wagon Garage:
    Silverfox
    all I can do is show up Monday with my trailer and $$$ in hand.

11. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Really hope it all works out for you. It should not be this much of an ordeal to buy a car. I doubt this dealer sees much (any) repeat business.

12. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Looking at the emissions sticker on the door jamb, this is a Federal vehicle and not a California-spec car. I wonder if that is playing into any of this, on the part of the stealer...er, I mean dealer.

Bring a witness with you when you pick up the car and video the entire event. If that "Jerry" knuckle-dragger objects, you tell him you are doing it for YOUR protection and as a "historical record" of the transaction. You can bet he has video cameras inside his offices to cover his ass!

I know a guy that has a vehicle delivery service in Texas. He has his truck wired up much like that "Operation Repo" guy does, front and back. That way, he has plenty of video evidence on his side, should he ever need it.

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well...i just hope that they don't give you the....."OH, geeze! One of our sales people sold the wagon over the weekend by mistake!"

I hope it works out for you, alph.:yup:

14. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    If you're in Bakersfield, you do need smog, Kern County is on the list.

Question is, can the dealer refuse to sell if he can't get it to pass?

I know Cali is a pain in the rear for this sort of stuff. It's why I hesitate, HARD, before considering buying anything from Cali, even though I know back home in Texas anything 1988 or older is smog exempt in even the testing counties and nothing gets smogged where I live not even new cars.

15. MercWoody

MercWoody Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow...just getting caught up on all the happenings. After reading this interesting and infuriating story, I'm wondering why I pay the cable company to watch the stupid box. Sorry to hear about the drama alph. Good luck Monday....hope things go your way. I'll be sure to tune in at the "same Bat time, same Bat channel" to find out what happens next!