1983 Buick Skyhawk Custom

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Oct 22, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jwdtenn

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This used car dealer advertises quite heavily on Craig's List. Just across the Oregon-Washington border. ALMOST went there when I was truck shopping..... Asking prices are high, but their turnover is pretty good, so that tells me they're probably willing to deal......

4. jwdtenn

I wonder who the potential buyer would be for this car. These were not very good even in 1983. By today's standards, it would be really underpowered.

5. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Seriously. A 4 cylinder Honda or Toyota has SO much more power, plus overdrive gearing. These older economy cars are almost road hazards on the freeways at 75-80MPH.

Never underestimate some person whose mom and dad had one of these as the car they grew up in or some older fellow who had one as his first daily driver 35 years ago. The price for this isn't completely awful, but it's a car that would have a hard time finding a buyer regardless of price.

RandyO likes this.
  6. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I had a few cavaliers in the 80’s a liked them. I would buy this if it were on the east coast. I’ve been looking for a cavalier station wagon for a while now. I like how they are cheap. I know they are under powered especially in today’s standards, but my 84 cavalier type 10 was a rocket ship as I was coming out of nearly a year of driving an 83 Chevette.

RandyO and Mopar wagon Luvr like this.
  7. jwdtenn

8. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Our longest standing family car growing up was a 1984 Nissan Sentra 2-door hatchback with a 1.6L engine that produced 70HP and we never had any problems with its lack of power. It sure as hell was the farthest thing from being a rocket, but that little thing took us everywhere. Everything from everyday errands to long road trips with TONS of camping gear, along with my mom and dad, and me and my brother packed into it, and it got us around just fine. :)

More than anything, I just think with today's cars and how much horsepower they have that the average driver drives, and is able to drive more aggressively, and people just generally seem to be in more of a hurry these days. Not to mention distracted driving with "smart" phones and new cars essentially becoming nothing but a technological arcade with distractive touch screens and climate controls, etc.

RandyO and 60Mercman like this.
  9. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well the posting is gone so that extra $500 got somebody off the sofa, or maybe they just took a wad of 100 dollar bills and peeled of 30 of them off, and drove home in a Buick, albeit not fast. elB is probably on to something. This was probably an old guys car. The widow finally died, and the kids took it to this dealer who gladly paid them $1,000 to off load their problem. A little buff and shine, and bam a nearly $4,000 classic that somebody found unique enough to shell out 3GS for, and everyone is happy.

RandyO likes this.
  10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Guess what? Now in the throes of the green new deal, and climate change for $30,000 you can be the proud owner of the new ZZ632 crate motor that delivers 1000 horses. Seems like there is a disconnect here between our governments trying to shoe horn us into electric cars and these whopper motors. Before you all yell at me I know this motor isn’t going to be option “z” package on your new Malibu. Do they even still make this model? I know we have a lot of gear heads here, and fast is fun. But, I can get anywhere I need to at 75 and change in the southwest with a delightful 302 EFI in a late ‘80’s Mercury. Guess that is the ole Fart on a soap box, but there you have it.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  11. jwdtenn

I show the ad still up at $3350.

12. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Oh it is back. When I looked this afternoon it showed posting deleted by author. Who is this Author guy?

13. Stern70

Stern70 Well-Known Member

I like the front of these Buicks, if you squint it looks like a delorian. But the back end is just bla, for once I would rather have the 2 door version. And that's something I never say.

14. jwdtenn

15. Stern70

Stern70 Well-Known Member

I think the public had enough of these cars when they were new, so 30 years later they can be any better. Do you think anyone out there in world has a collection x bodies? Seriously I would like to see that!