1978 Caprice Classic 13K Villa Park Il

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by ken1939, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ken1939

ken1939 Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

For all the photos, he doesn't really have good ones of the dash. I can't tell what all the buttons are, but the car is low-option. I see air-conditioning, luggage rack, rear window defogger, and a clock. No cruise control. No trip odometer. No tilt wheel. No third seat. No power windows, locks, or seats. Aftermarket radio. There are scratches on the panel above the glovebox.

He says 53,000 miles, but I wonder if it's 153,000.

Some of the dash buttons look worn from use. These three buttons look like they've been pressed a few million times each. The labels have worn to the point of unreadability. I think the far left one next to the headlight switch is for the rear defogger. Any idea what the other two are for?

Capture.JPG

It's a good-looking car, no doubt. But I question the mileage, and, for being the top-end Chevy wagon that year, the option list leaves something to be desired.

Is it worth $13,000? I don't think I'd pay that much for it.

3. ken1939

ken1939 Well-Known Member

If I remember our 81, You had one for the rear window up and down, one for the rear gate power lock and I think the other is for the Rear Window Defogger

4. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Switches from L-R -> Window up and down, tailgate lock, rear window defogger. And yes, while the plastic on those switches did tend to wear easier than others due to what it was made of, those switches look like they've been VERY well used.

53k miles or 153k if not more. Look at the shifter bucket on the column where the shift lever is for all the scratches and damage. The carpet is stained brown in places too, this era of light blue carpet did not hide dirt and wear well.

5. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Definitely repainted.

And I always hate when exterior emblems are not replaced.

Should have Caprice Classic emblems on both rear quarters.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm with Jaunty on this one. There are some indications that it's 153k, not 53k........

And even at 153,000 miles, that's STILL a yearly average of only around 3,500 miles.

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Yes, but those miles are probably not evenly distributed. It's probably heavily weighted toward the early years (say, a typical 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year for the first decade or so and then fading to far fewer miles per year since then).

Krash Kadillak likes this.