1977 Oldsmobile Toronado XS

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Jul 6, 2020.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wasn’t Jaunty looking for a’77 XS? Could be a road trip in his future. That does look like a really great car for the price and loaded with goodies.

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

That is nice, and the interior is the definition of 1970's upscale cloth.

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Yes, I am. I've seen this one. It is very tempting. I just wish it was a bit closer. But I'm watching it. The ad has been up for the better part of a month now. Maybe he'll drop the price a bit. As noted at the top, the price already is pretty good.

5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Jaunty, what would you say is the premium for a XS over a normal Toronado? .

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

So few of these change hands that it's hard to say. Also, I've seen a fair number of ads for XS's where the seller makes no mention of the fact that it's an XS. If the car being an XS makes it more valuable, you'd think more sellers would be aware of this and would make sure to highlight the fact.

Options don't matter much, either, because these cars were so similarly equipped. The 1977 Toronado was the first Oldsmobile where air-conditioning was standard equipment. Not even the top-end 98 had A/C as standard. So every '77 and '78 Toronado has A/C. They pretty much all have power windows, seats, and door locks, rear defogger, passenger side rearview mirror, and cruise control. The only options where there seems to some variability is things like trip odometer, fuel economy gauge, the exact radio (AM, AM/FM, AM/FM/tape, or AM/FM/tape/CB radio), and moon-roof. Of course, being an XS was an option, too, and about 20% of Toros each of those two years were so equipped.

So about the only thing that really distinguishes one '77 or '78 Toro from another is overall condition, and I think that's the biggest factor in determining value.

60Mercman likes this.
  7. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

If the undercarriage checks out, I would call this Olds a winner at that price.

[​IMG]

8. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

As nice as this car is, and as much as I'd love to see it in my garage, especially if it were 15 miles from me and not 1500, there is one thing about it that gives me pause. It has dual exhaust, and that is not factory. There was no dual exhaust option on these cars that year. Also, he mentions the car has "new heads." Why? The car has only 80,000 miles on it. My '78 has nearly 90,000 with its original heads. Is this because of the dual exhaust? As soon as a car starts straying from original, I get nervous because I am not so much of a mechanical expert when I work on my cars that I'm comfortable working on things that are not mentioned in and that there are no diagrams of in the factory service manual.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If I were a betting man, I'd say it was overheated, or the car was left to sit without running and without maintenance. The likelihood of an engine uprating is pretty small.

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I’m kinda a simple person, with it at $5,900 obo, at $7,300 obo maybe he’s looking for $6,300, or at $5,900 $5,300 may have been his bottom dollar. Just guessing of course, but having it up for 2 1/2 months I can’t believe he’s had zero lookers. Could be something with the car, with Craigslist, Covid, and Minneapolis it could be a hard time fetching a buyer, or even an offer. I’m going to be in Minneapolis the middle of this month. May check it out if it’s still up. I do like these, and am a bit curious