1973 Pontiac Luxury Le Mans

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Nov 12, 2022.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

This is just my taste and I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I don't know what surprises me more - that one of these was cherished for 50 years or that they want $20K for it. As the late, great Bill Paxton said in Aliens, "You can count me out".

3. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    These really are nice cars despite the lack of love they get, but yeah a 350 2bbl with minimal options does seem kind of an odd choice for preservation.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

To play devil's advocate, not everyone wanted the most options. It is a 2-door, and for an intermediate, a fairly roomy cabin. I would consider it just on those two points.

5. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sure, not everyone wanted those options. But there's a reason most are standard now.

Ultimately it gets to the point of why people save cars. Years and years ago it was because the car was special from the factory\when new. Like a GTO Judge, any convertible, or a Hemi car. The big engine performance cars, the wild paint, or just awesome cruisers that were perfect for nice summer weather and impractical 8-9 mo out of the year. People just *knew* that it was special and wanted to save such a thing. Finding the average GM or Ford daily driver or even "lesser known" cars like a 1976 Honda Civic or 1980 Chevette with incredibly low miles that have obviously been cared for and stored away in climate controlled storage for 40+ years very much becomes a question of "why?" While this car isn't the bottom of the barrel by any stretch, it's obviously one that was driven very sparingly and kept in a good storage environment for almost 50 years and that is unusual in and of itself. There's nothing inherent about this car that would suggest it would ever be worth a hefty pay day, unlike say a 1973 GTO or a 1973 Super Duty Trans Am, yet someone obviously kept it in decent shape and out of the elements for over 4 decades.