1971 Ford Cortina 2000LX 'Estate Car'

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by frankovich, May 16, 2006.

1. frankovich

frankovich New Member Charter Member

Just bought in Britain last night. I've posted four images in 'Ford of Europe' album.

Very, very rare. First owner was a Ford Executive. The usual wagons had 1600CC, this one has 2000CC.

44,000 original miles and now I have to get it to California from Yorkshire, England...

Mike Frankovich

2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Hi Mike,

That is an interesting wagon. What kind of transmission does the car have?

c5_1_b_1.jpg

3. frankovich

She's got the Ford close ration four speed transmission that also went into the AC Cobras, early MKII Lotus Cortinas, Lotus Elean and Elite and (Mercury) Ford Capris.

Mike

4. mechanic

mechanic New Member Charter Member

Thats a sweet 'coke bottle' Cortina there. Guess its got the sloping dashboard as the later ones had an easier to see flat style. I used to buy a lot of these in the 70's. Problerms were always noisy cams, excessive wear on the rear axle bushes and rust areas under the screen and around the battery tray. But they do go on forever. Apart from the body panels, most of the mechanicals are common with the Mk4 and 5. Engines are only a pinto so I guess you would get hold of a good unit over there. If you need any help with parts or info, give me a shout.

5. frankovich

Thank you, Mechanic,

I know the MKI Cortina wagon, having owned the 13th one off the line at Dagenham, a 'Squire' de luxe. Those are impossible to find now. I like the 'Coke Bottle' because it also reminds me of my 1967 Mercury Park Lane, owned in the late 60's and first of the '70's.

The MKIII I bought has 44,000 Miles and two 'keepers' before me, the first reputed to have been an Executive at Dagenham. I should be able to pick it up here at Port Hueneme on July 14th. Ship leaves tomorrow with it on board.

Mike

6. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike...i saw that on Ebay!!:)....heres some humour for ya.....my daily driver?....is a 68 Cortina S/W:rofl2:
    Iknew i couldnt be the only warped guy around....:Handshake:

Attached Files:

7. mechanic

Hey Rev, They are getting harder to find even over here. What engine does it have, 1599 or 1600?

I used to have one years ago and I dropped in a Rover 3.5 engine in it as theres loads of room. Think its known as a Buick Fireball 215 over there. Rover bought the rights in 1964

8. the Rev

Wagon Garage:
    Mech...its got the 1600 crossflow...i threw a gt intake and carb in her....so now it goes 30% faster and uses 90% more gas:eek:
    i thunked about throwin somethin bigger into her....but i'm afraid she'd come apart:D ...in my best SCOTTY voice.....(she cant take much more of this captain)...LOL

I just realized that your on the other side of the pond....well you'll be the only other that'll appreciate 2 of my other cars
    I also have a 59 Thames panel (Capri v6) and a 57 Anglia(2300 turbo).....:)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  9. mechanic

He he, get some dc40's on it and a tubular manifold, that will make it breath a bit better. Or even better drop in a Lotus Cortina unit and that will make it shift.

I take it the Anglia is a 100e rather than the 105e that I was brought up on. My first car was a 100e with a three speed manualk box. I let my mate reverse it out of the garage we had and he took us both through a set of garage doors across the road. very funny now but not so at the time.

10. the Rev

Wagon Garage:
    Ya...both of them are 100e's....funny story:rofl:
    I had 105 back in my teens too:)