1964 Ford 260 V8 - Seized Carburetor Throttle

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Tomab, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Tomab

Tomab Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello! I'm digging into my recently acquired '64 Fairlane Ranch Wagon with the 260cu V8. Just flushed the radiator. The engine has been drained, flushed, and filled with fresh oil. Further investigation revealed the throttle to be seized on the two barrel carburetor. Also, spiders were living inside the bowl. Other than the spiders it seemed pretty clean.

I've removed the carb and let some WD-40 soak in overnight. Movement is now possible, but it is incredibly stiff. Is it worth my time to try to rebuild this one?

Can anyone offer any recommendations for a new 2 barrel carb? I figure a 260 cubic inch engine at 5000 RPM would only need 320 odd CFM of air.

edit: I'm thinking about ordering something like this from Summit Racing.

20160920_205755.jpg 20160920_205831.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. 63Fowagon

63Fowagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would by the summit carb . The original could be rebuilt if throttle plate bushings aren't worn bad then it gets more involved. A good soaking in carb cleaner and a kit would be allot cheaper and worth a try if you have the ability .

WagonKiller likes this.
  3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Those Autolite carbs are so easy to rebuild that a 15 year old kid could do it. Yours looks to be in good shape internally. Rebuild it!! Once you get the throttle plates off the body, you'll probably find it will be easy to free them up. I don't recall that they have throttle plate bushings, but rather they just go thru the body. Soak em for a while and they will free up.

WagonKiller likes this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

They don't have bushings, but it is a simple carb. The only concern I would have is reinstalling the throttle plates in the proper position, and if the shaft is pitted from rust (vacuum leaker).

5. 63Fowagon

Wagon Garage:
    In the 70's allot of the ford carbs had bushings installed as a repair for worn carb bodies and loose throttle shafts. His carb if original will not have but after 50 plus years who knows. These carbs are easy but with loose throttle shafts will never be right. I have bought allot and sold at swap meets after rebuild but nowadays loose shafts ,worn bases are junk and good candidates are far and few. He should after a good cleaning and inspection then decide which way to go.

6. Tomab

Tomab Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for your suggestions!

As soon as I have time and a suitable work area, I'm going to try my hand at fixing my current carb. Are there any tricks for reinstalling the throttle plates? Where can I get replacement gaskets?

In other news: the dirt cleans off nicely, and we only have about 40% of the driver-side floor pan remaining.

Attached Files:

7. 63Fowagon

Wagon Garage:
    A- zone part # 96-215 is the kit needed . Base gasket needs purchased also. There is more than just those gaskets to rebuild the carb.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The deal about the plates is getting them back in, in exactly the same position. They cannot be swapped, nor turned around. They may also be so corroded they may not come out without force, and that can/will damage the plates. You can install any of the 2100/2150 carbs, but you may have to re-jet it to match the engine.

9. Tomab

Tomab Member

Wagon Garage:
    Carb rebuild is moving along nicely. The throttle shaft came out eventually. It took a little convincing with a rubber mallet.

Thanks for the auto zone part recommendation, the store down the street had it on the shelf $20.

I also found this YouTube video helpful.

Attached Files: