Maintaining your restoration - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Stormin' Norman, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    It seems to me, now that I've practically disassembled my Fairmont Squire again, that a restored DD needs a lot more vigilance, especially since I plan on keeping it, until I get another Fairmont from Mexico (the restorer's advantage of marrying a Mexican gal. :rofl2: )

    My windshield installation leaked a bit and the carpet got wet. Since I had to pull it out to install the Capri console and shifter and dash and harness, and.. and.. and.. I got at the surface rust and dealt with it.

    I figured I'd post this thread because I noticed a lot of things that I left for later (1 year later) that I should have done. Lubricate the door hardware, vacuum out the leaves and twigs that plug the door drain holes, clean up and touch up the undercoating in the side panels and the underside of the floorpan, touch up the engine compartment, etc.

    Lots of detailing all over the car. I wondered if anyone had some tips and tricks.:cheers:
     
  2. GN300

    GN300 Tipmaster G

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,761
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    122
    Location:
    Aylesford Nova Scotia
    Take you time do one section at a time till it's righjt and move on...floors, door jams, etc etc.

    Detailing and cleaning as you do ,not looking at the whole job but one piece or section at a time.
     
  3. marcar1993

    marcar1993 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    49
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    CNJ
    Truthfully, daily driving a restored car is much like a new one but a little harder. You have a like new car, and like a new car it will deteriorate from daily use even with the best of care. Unfortunately if you drive it you will have to reredo it eventually. My dad's t/a has a 19 year old restoration but it looks like new. It gets from 1-2k miles a year. It is driven anytime he wants, but it is not subject to rain intentionally, or snow and road salt. It also is meticulously cleaned. After a day of driving it comes home to an engine and under carriage detail and at least a towel down. About 1-2 hours of work.
    My dad's 60 Plymouth was improperly done, long story but it was a job that if it were treated as a typical daily it would have long since rotted to pieces, in maybe 6 months to a year. The paint and very shoddy body work has lasted 21 years. It is the same as the t/a. It is meticulously cared for.
    When you daily drive the car you will have a hell of a time maintaining at the level it's at long term. Not to say it's impossible, but you have a lot of work ahead of you.
     
  4. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Totally agree guys. They are more work, but after investing yourself (scraped knuckles and all), I figure its more than worth the extra effort, and you keep well informed of what might need more attention.

    I see the folks dropping $40,000 in a newer tupperware vehicle and another $300 every few months for warranty service over 6 years, and figure I'm way ahead of the game, with a 31 year old newbie.:D Besides, I know this car better than a Ford assemby line worker. (y)

    I'll have to find some Detailing sites and post the links. :idea:
     

Share This Page