New Member Bay Area

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by tbm3fan, Feb 9, 2024.

1. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Member

Not new to classic cars as I already have five before this purchase. I rarely look at FB Marketplace for cars as I am there for the Carrier, Essex Class, USS Hornet, Photography and assorted car groups. I look on Craigslist but when I looked on Marketplace I saw this car from the 3/4 front shot and went, Wow what is that? I resisted like always but after 3 months it was still there and like two others that meant it was for me. So I bought it a 1972. I have yet to drive it due to rain and to transport if 37 miles a friend of mine followed me in it and pronounced the car to be solid, little noise, and with a surprising amount of pep. The plates are going to be replaced very soon. rsz_1ambassador_001.jpg rsz_ambassador_002.jpg

60Mercman, Steve-E-D, fannie and 3 others like this.
  2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's awesome!
    Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one!
    Also, you will find a number of members here will share in your passion for the above mentioned carriers and others like them :thumbs2:

3. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, tbm3fan!
    That is a great looking long roof and one we don't see too many of. Looking forward to seeing more photos and your story.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the Station Wagon Forum, TBM3fan!

Your Ambassador is, in my opinion, one of the best-looking AMC wagons made. the '72's and '73's were mostly the same, but starting in '74, they entered their very ugly 'coffin nose' period.

And now, readers, here's what TBM3fan is all about, the Grumann TBM3 Avenger, an anti-submarine plane from WW2 and after......

Grumman TBM3 Avenger.jpg

Hope you have fun here, TBM!

Marshall

fannie likes this.
  5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Glad you found us. Great looking wagon.:wave:

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Hey now that's pretty neat!

8. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Member

9. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Member

First off the TBF Avenger was the replacement dive bomber for the ill-fated Devastator that performed so poorly at Midway. The TBF was built at Grumman along with the Wildcat early on as there were a few Avengers that flew off Midway Island during the battle. Later, when the Hellcat came into production, Grumman couldn't keep up and so Wildcat and Avengers were handed over to General Motors. They are noted as FM-2 Wildcat and TBM-1, TBM-3 Avenger. I have restored the exterior of one when asked to by the Chief Engineer on the USS Hornet in 1999.

The one I restored was delivered to the Navy in January 1945 and arrived at Guam in 1945. Posted to a replacement squadron the plane never saw action before the war ended. Stored in Litchfield till 1948 when pulled out to serve as a Carrier Onboard Delivery (COD). Served until 1956 when retired. Sold in 1960 to Sacramento Crop Dusters in 1960 for $1. Removed from service around 1974 when the CDF (California Department of Forestry) stopped using single engine tankers for safety reasons.

The plane changed hands a couple of times like cars get flipped. Last flown in 1990 into Oakland Airport when the last owner acquired her. He had a business at the airport and a house on a private field in Ione. CA. His hanger stashed numerous parts from gauges to engines as I saw it along with five other planes including a rare flying F7F Tigercat. The Hornet acquired the plane in 1998. The owner passed away in 1999. I went to Ione to pick up an original gun turret for the plane and started work.

He

Attached Files:

10. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Member

The plane in 2000 as I started to dismantle, remove corroded aluminum panels, clean the surface, and then install new panels. Not a flyer being on a museum carrier.

rsz_2avenger_prep_2000_001.jpg

OrthmannJ likes this.
  11. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Member

Finished exterior work except for bomb bay doors which were always removed during conversion and junked. We have 6 separate pieces from which we might be able to make a copy. Interior has been untouched although I have acquired everything needed to make it resemble a 1945 aircraft. While not run up, I do turn over the engine, and am working on restoring the hydraulic system so it can be pressurized and functional. However, I was pulled away when at this point in 2003 to take over the restoration of the Island superstructure, by one man no less.

rsz_1tbm3_040.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    HotRodRacer and wagoninsane like this.