A coupla really ugly Nomads and a "mystery wagon"....

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Safariknut, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

As most of us are aware,the toy car industry is at times not the greatest when it comes to accuracy in detail on many occasions. This is one of them.
    As many of you may know,I love to collect station wagon models and toys and have a fair amount of them already. In particular I favor examples of Chevrolet Nomads and Pontiac Safari wagons of the 1955-1957 variety and some of the ones I have acquired are at best,"lacking in detail and accuracy".
    The other day I stopped at an antique shop I don't usually frequent only because it is difficult to find them open.The owner also runs a body shop which is next door to it and spends the majority of his time there;the idea being it is much more profitable than the antique shop.
    Anyway I was driving by and saw it was open so I decided to stop.I could tell it was open because in what was once an entrance is the front panel of a Volkswagen Kombi with operating headlights which he turns on when he opens the shop.
    Upon entering I noticed it had grown quite a bit inside from the last time I was there. After making a circuit I found a box of built military models(tanks,a field gun,a trailer,and a "Schwimminvagen")that were in decent shape for $10 which I bought. Next to them was the usual box of used Hot Wheels and various other makes that were listed as four for a buck.I scrounged through the box and came up with these.One was not a wagon but an HO scale Oldsmobile Toronado made by Bachmann(I believe).The,"Mystery Wagon" was made by a company called,"Mega Blox" and the roof of it looks like it will attach to a Lego style block. 57NomadBlack1.JPG 57NomadBlack2.JPG 57NomadOrange1.JPG 57NomadOrange2.JPG MegaBloxWagon1.JPG MegaBloxWagon2.JPG So without further ado,here are my,"treasures of questionable quality". HEY! Whaddaya want for a buck?

ModelT1 and 60Mercman like this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Nice find, but I'm interested in the models. What scale were they? In my stuff in storage, I have the pieces for a Bandai 1/48th scale Schwimmwagen my big brother Fred built and detail-oriented back in the early Seventies, and which I hope to reassemble and display some day.

3. Safariknut

I believe they are 1/35th scale.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Okay, likely Tamiya and Italeri, plus a few other newer model companies, such as Dragon, that could've made them.

5. Safariknut

Hope it is ok to post these for silvertwinkie. Here are a couple pics of the models he wanted to see. If not suitable please delete.The first two tanks are by Bandai. The third tank is a motorized Tamiya model.The schwimmenwagen,the trailer and the field piece are not marked. BandaiTank2-1.JPG BandaiTank2-2.JPG BandaiTank2.JPG BandaiTank3.JPG FieldPiece1.JPG FieldPiece2.JPG Schwimminwagen1.JPG Schwimminwagen2.JPG TamiyaTank1.JPG TamiyaTank2.JPG Trailer1.JPG Trailer2.JPG

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Pretty nice models. The first one needs a repaint, as the grey isn't 'Panzer Grey', and the camouflage markings are also incorrect shades/patterns. It looks like none of the others were painted, just assembled. Detail painting would make these models stand out.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

They are as follows: 'JagdPanzer IV,' 'PanzerKampfWagen III Ausf. D' (or F, if the main gun is a 50mm cannon vs. a 37mm), 'Pak 75' anti-tank gun, Schwimmwagen, 'PzKfW VI Ausf. E,' and an ammunition trailer, don't remember the Wehrmacht Heer's designation for it. If they're the same scale, it would go with the PaK75; both would need transport vehicles, of course.

8. Safariknut

Andrew: Thanks for the update on them. The Tamiya is motorized and the gun barrel was missing as was the hatch. I had a piece of brass telescoping tubing left over from another project and used that as a substitute.Made the hatch out of a piece of .040 aluminum.Not really proper but I'm not too concerned about it.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Ha. Shows you how much I pay attention. Yeah, it does in a pinch, but just keep your eyes open for someone selling an incomplete/broken model, or modify it with damage to the main gun and turret mantle, make a 'recovery' diorama.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

There's a photo I've recently seen, of a 'lucky' hit on a Panzer's main gun, took a good-sized chunk out of the bottom of the barrel. If I run into it, I'll share it, but I cannot remember what webpage I saw it on.