1965 Ford Country Sedan (Wagon) Tailgate Weatherstripping

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by SquiggleDog, May 15, 2020.

1. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I've hit another snag while working on this 1965 Ford Country Sedan. As usual, parts it needs aren't available. The main piece is the rear window seal at the beltline of the tailgate. It is what keeps water out of the tailgate to prevent it from rusting out. Since I am installing a new old stock tailgate, this is very important.

The seal fits across the top like this. It appears to be made of a piece of rubber which has a slightly tapered and rounded edge where it fits against the window glass. It is lightly ribbed underneath. Then a stiffer piece of rubber is glued to it at an angle.
    IMAG7605.jpg
    IMAG7607.jpg IMAG7608.jpg

I'm hoping that maybe the Falcon wagons used this same piece, though in a shorter length. I fear that I'm the first person to ever restore one of these wagons, and likely no one before me has found a solution.

2. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

There is a short section of steel channel with rubber in it at the upper center of the tailgate, apparently there to prevent the glass from hitting the window regulator. The cross-section of the rubber is the same as what goes along the upper edge of the tailgate trim panel, which I'm guessing may have been covered in something like felt at one point to keep from scratching the glass? IMAG7611.jpg

It also appears to have the rubber wedged underneath the metal channel.
    IMAG7612.jpg

It would be nice to find this rubber in length, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's not available, either.

3. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

The weatherstripping behind the tailgate is in poor condition, too.
    IMAG7613.jpg

This is what the cross-section looks like, and it's held on with plastic clips that fit into holes in the rubber and body.
    IMAG7620.jpg

The corners are different pieces which were glued to the center section.
    IMAG7621.jpg

The side pieces are also molded.
    IMAG7622.jpg

Two of these plastic clips broke.
    IMAG7623.jpg

I'll see what I can come up with, but don't have a lot of hope. I think you need deep pockets to restore a Ford due to needing to have everything tooled and built from scratch.

4. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I think that cross section you show in photo #4, above, is a pretty standard piece you can get by the foot or yard. Not sure on the others. Check out Rubber The Right Way

5. Chinoz71

Chinoz71 New Member

How did it go with your weatherstrip search? Im following this thread because I am in the same situation.

6. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Not good so far. It all seems to be specially-molded, and parts availability for these cars is dismal.

7. Chinoz71

Chinoz71 New Member

Well, here is something I found out in another group you might want to try. For the outer window seal i was told that the International 7400 dump truck door weather strip will work great. Also recommended garage door seal that you can buy a home depot. Supposedly the garage door seal is cheap and will keep out 95% of water. I'm going to try the second one. I just bought my wagon and had no idea parts were so scarce.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

9. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I did a search for the International 7400 door weatherstrip but got overloaded with a bunch of a pictures of different things... As for the garage door seal, I don't know if 95% is going to be acceptable, but it does look very close to what came out of it.
    dura-lift-garage-door-seals-dlsf9-64_1000.jpg
    [​IMG]

And yes, no one seems to make any parts for these cars unless they happen to also fit Mustangs.

Chinoz71 likes this.
  10. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Thanks. I'll search.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Hopefully you'll find something suitable.

12. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Here's another one for you--there is a metal channel on each side of the body where the rear glass slides up through them, and they have felt-covered rubber pieces on each side of them. The piece of felt that is on the outside gets beaten by the sun and goes bad, so then it deteriorates and the glass gets stuck.

Of course, you can't get the whole piece or apparently even just the felt sweeps anywhere. My roommate did find ONE side new old stock on eBay. I suppose I'll have to remove one of the inner felts from the side that's being replaced and move it to the outside of the side that isn't so all the felt is at least intact.

It appears this felt stuff (which is somehow stapled to the steel part?!) is the same stuff that's attached to the inside of the tailgate so the glass doesn't slam against the regulator, and the top of the tailgate cover panel which acts as an inside window sweep. I can't seem to find anything for this car. And yes, I've searched diligently through all the links that have been shared.

IMAG8065.jpg

13. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  14. Silvertwinkiehobo

I would think PRP would also have that; Jeep MJ and XJ front door windows use similar u-shaped sweeps on the front, and PRP carries a similar one that owners have used on their rigs.

15. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I saw that. It MIGHT work on the top of the tailgate cover which fits on the inside of the glass, but I'm not sure it will work to replace the sweeps on the sides of the glass, though I'll probably just rob a piece from the side that's getting replaced with the NOS part.