1968 Ford Country Squire

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 60Mercman, May 13, 2020.

1. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    DC262A39-E618-4349-B015-6FCF9C928BC9.png Well the Squire has been home a while. I’ve been busy with some other projects, but got around to doing some touches to the outside. Also been detailing the interior as well.

Grizz and fannie like this.
  2. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Sometime this weekend will drop the bumper and re spray the argent.

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

SWEET!

4. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Well. The argent has been refreshed on the front end and she made her debut car show today at the Edgewood, NM Father’s Day car show. Seems to be popular. There was only one other wagon there, an ‘89 Caprice low rider. 09C7074D-BF65-44B2-BEC6-D477DF00DC65.jpeg

5. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Parking on the stripes usually gives the impression that the car's not leaking, since there are no drip spots there to pin on you. However, the stripe of which we do see tells a differentr story

6. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Yes Edgewood is loaded with a lot of old cars and trucks with gun racks. I think like the people, the cars are old and loose. I would expect to see all sorts of droplets on a varied number of surfaces there. I can assure you that even though my Country Squire has a few continence issues, those vestiges of oil splatter can not be traced back to my station wagon.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Grizz and Doghead like this.
  7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I have to say I’m not a paid spokesmen, but I’ll tell you 0007 steel wool used gingerly, and Wenol polish does amazing things to tired and dirty bumpers and chrome.

8. Country Sedan

Country Sedan .

Wagon Garage:
    Interior shots..................................

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Very nice Wagon.

10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Ha ha. Easy for you to say Mr. Stunning blue Marquis Brougham interior. Lol. This car has a little ways to go with the interior. It’s interesting the odometer shows 60,000 miles, which I kinda believe. It has disk breaks so the pedals and chrome surrounds are in great shape. The back seat is all original, which is in great shape, especially since it is parchment. The front seat is newer. Same type of pattern, somewhat, but serviceable, and close enough. It unfortunately has taken some hits in the New Mexico sun. Some typical dash cracks in the place they all crack, the headliner is missing a couple of panels, and the drivers arm rest is missing. The good news is I am getting from a fellow member here those Items that came off of a ‘68 he owned, and the interior is also parchment. So those things will be quickly addressed. The door panels are in reasonable shape, but the sun has taken some liberties with the woodtone appliqué. I paid so little for this car, and really bought it with the intention of a “driver” old wagon that I want a nice serviceable interior that is passable, but it will never be the wagon my ‘71 Country Sedan, or ‘77 Colony Park are.

Doghead likes this.
  11. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Tell me more. Used together at the same time, or wool first, then polish?

12. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I usually try to throughly clean the bumper/chrome first with invisible glass. Then in small test sections if there is surface rust I’ll use the steel wool with the Wenol directly on the steel wool using light strokes on the particular spot. It will also work for light haze spots on the bumper, again use the steel wool very lightly. On the Country Squire I removed the bumper, and parking light lenses to get at the dirt and hazy chrome bezels. Also wanted to paint the argent pan. If there are no imperfections on the bumper itself a couple of coats of just the Wenol should bring it right up. A microfiber towel last touch usually removes any last haze from the Wenol. Hope that helps.

annap01gt likes this.
  13. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    That helps a lot. Thanks for the info.