1962 Wagon (you would be only one with one of these at a car show)

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by markfnc, Jun 18, 2020.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    The flowing lines on that are really nice. Certainly a unique wagon in my neck of the woods, not sure about everywhere else.

Didn't Auto Union become Audi?

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Interesting to see what it goes for, and I think finding parts for my orphaned Pontiac's is tough! I can't imagine finding parts for a Brazilian Built German engineered Orphan! But I could cause the Bunny Huggers in Ann Arbor to have a Stroke contemplating the 2 strokes emissions vs the emission produced by the production of a modern Hybrid or Electric car. Hee Hee Hee.

Bid to only $3,600.00 as I write this, but there are over 5 days remaining.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

:rofl2:

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That is certainly unique. In my opinion many of the vehicles of this size, from this era of European manufacturers seem to have odd or unfinished designs. This one however, as mentioned previously, has nice flowing lines. I think it's a handsome little car. I like it.

1962_dkw_auto-union_1000_vemaguet_15893109627232b771669DSC00080.jpg

6. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Weird. Early coil on plug ignition.

Grizz likes this.
  7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    That’s what I thought. Ahead of its time

8. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    That *is* definitely unusual. I wonder how that 981 cc engine handles the hills in California?

[​IMG]

9. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

When Auto Union split up, what was left were Audi and NSU of which produced only 4-cycle and Wankel engines. This here wagon's production originally took place in Eisenach in East Germany, before it became part of East Germany and in Brazil. Being under the Soviet sphere of influence, the basic design was continued as Wartburgs and as Barkas vans.
    If the new owner is lucky, he should be able to get those shot synchronizer rings from some dusty Wartburg parts shelf. The Barkas ones might even be identicle.
    This is new to me, that Auto Union continued in the South American market. What one has to be careful about importing vehicles from that paticular S...hole is that there is no shortage of stolen car laundry going on there. I'm surprised that the port authorities have overlooked this dodgy plate which normally is rivitted onto the body. If the plate doesen't match up to any genuine stamped numbers, I'd stay away from it, despite the temptation of bidding on a no reserve vehicle

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's almost a miracle that it even started, because of how that Bonehead flooded it that bad

10. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I didn't realize that the Wartburgs were based on a Auto Union design, I used to see Isabella's in Southern California occasionally in the mid to late 60's. They seemed to be nice cars.

I wonder if the individual coils had something to do with the additional spark needed for the 2 stroke engine? Though Saab's of the era also used individual coils, this one on one of the 2 Cylinders. Reading about the Saab engines I see they were based off of a DKW design. So getting Engine parts for this wagon may not be as hard as I thought.

The later 3 Cylinder Saabs seemed to use a standard Distributor & only 1 coil.

[​IMG]

11. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

2-cycle ignitions fuction like magneto distributors without a vacuum advance. They have a magnetic pick-up and point set at the harmonic balancer end. I suppose, they could set it up with a distributor somehow. They probably figured that it would be easier just to add additional coils instead.
    Because the fuel/air mixture spends very little time in the combustion chamber, a vacuum advance wouldn't really help. Instead, exhaust and intake are designed for moving gas as efficient as possible

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Sold $13,000