New Member..new ride.....

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 66Fairlanewagon, Jul 13, 2015.

  1. 66Fairlanewagon

    66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2015
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    36
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    Evening all,

    Just thought I'd drop a quick hello to everyone. I'm new to the car owning game, I recently bought a 66 Fairlane wagon. It's pretty much all original and unrestored, and in pretty good shape for 50 years. Its had a coat of paint at some point, and according to some paperwork that came with it, the original 289 has had a rebuild at some time.

    No plans to do too much to it for now, just a weekend cruiser, however will be looking for a couple of things to do to increase drivabilty (and sound!) and squeeze out a bit more out of the old engine. At some time in the future, I'd like to rebuild it( as a learning/knowledge experience), in the mid term I'm thinking carby rebuild, extractors/exhaust to start. I'll read some more, and then post some questions.

    I'm also interested in knowing of any aussie based parts importers. the running gear is covered by the millions o 'stangs around, but wagon specific parts seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

    Cheers

    (Apologies if you've seen this before, I've copied this from a few other (Ford) forums I'm member of. Easier that way)
     

    Attached Files:

  2. busterwivell

    busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    731
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    75
    Location:
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Good looking wagon...........welcome..........and enjoy your wagon!
     
  3. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    Welcome from down under............ or up over!
    :Welcome:
     
  4. AK27

    AK27 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    2,906
    Likes Received:
    85
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Location:
    Fairview, Illinois
    Welcome 66Fairlanewagon!
     
  5. fannie

    fannie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    Messages:
    12,071
    Likes Received:
    1,324
    Trophy Points:
    698
    Wagon Garage:
    3
    Location:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Looks amazing, congratulations. :Welcome: to SWF.
     
  6. Longroof79

    Longroof79 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2013
    Messages:
    629
    Likes Received:
    51
    Trophy Points:
    90
    Location:
    Gainesville Fl
    :Welcome: aboard!
    That's a nice clean looking Fairlane. I like the color, too..very unassuming. Have fun with it. 289 is a nice little engine.

    :cheers:
     
  7. 1tireman

    1tireman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Messages:
    5,432
    Likes Received:
    280
    Trophy Points:
    253
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Welcome to the forum!
     
  8. jmt455

    jmt455 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Likes Received:
    250
    Trophy Points:
    228
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    SE Michigan
    Welcome aboard!
    Great looking wagon.
    Are you required to convert it to RHD?
     
  9. 66Fairlanewagon

    66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2015
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    36
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    Well thank you all very much, a truly welcoming welcome!!

    Here is a little more detail

    Kansas built and sold new by Hollywood Ford in August 66(still with original dealer book). Original matching (well date correct at least) 289W with C4 auto. It's had a respray at some point, but aside from that, its all pretty original.

    Misc. bits of paperwork that came with it show the original owner sold it sometime in 2002, and looks like it has spent all its life in California before arriving in Australia earlier this year.


    Longroof- Yeah, 289 is a great little engine. I would have loved a 390 up front, but oh well......Mid term project I reckon. The colour was originally Sahara Beige, the new current colour is a bit lighter, I like it more than the original which is good. It's a bit patchy and worn, but that's what I like about it!! Its pretty unique, there are quite a lot of Holden (GM) and a few Aussie Ford wagons around, but not so many of these.

    jmt- LHD is all ok. It's on a limited use club registration, and the rules (in Victoria at least) is that if the car more than 25yrs (or 20, not 100% sure) old, it doesn't need to be converted. It also side steps ADR (Aust Design Rule) that specifiys yellow/amber flashing turn signals, all I have are the flashing brake lights which is more than a little confusing for alot of Aussie drivers. Gotta be real careful changing lanes that's sure!

    Thanks again everyone for the well wishes and 'thumbs up' on my car, I love it loads.

    Cheers

    .
     
  10. busterwivell

    busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    731
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    75
    Location:
    Sahuarita, AZ
    California car, huh? Good for you. Did you come here and buy it? Or, did you find it on-line?
     
  11. 66Fairlanewagon

    66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2015
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    36
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    I found it on line here in Melbourne. The guy is an old Ford man, semi retired (has a lovely Galaxie), and he heads across every year or so and brings one or two back with him.

    Its in excellent condition rust wise underneath (for its age), I had to keep in mind Cali is both desert and beach too!
     
  12. busterwivell

    busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    731
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    75
    Location:
    Sahuarita, AZ
    LOL.......yes, California is both desert and beach......here in Arizona, we just have the beach.......
    Don't know if the guy you bought from did it or not, but lot's of cars are sold at the Pomona Swap Meet to people from other countries..........I've sold several vehicles to people from Australia.
     
  13. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    Arizona has a beach ... but it's a long way down to the sea shore to sift sand with Mary Ann.:rofl2:
     
  14. 66Fairlanewagon

    66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2015
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    36
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    Not sure if it came through Pomona or not. I've heard (and seen tv shows) about it, looks amazing, I'd love to go one day.

    I've got a mate who does up VW vans mainly, I think he's been there a bit.
     
  15. 66Fairlanewagon

    66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2015
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    36
    Trophy Points:
    46
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    I've managed to get some pictures resized, so here you go. I hope you enjoy!!

    Cheers
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page