Country Squire receiver hitch

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by bl1416, May 12, 2015.

  1. bl1416

    bl1416 Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2015
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    32
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Vancouver, WA
    Hello

    Anyone have suggestions for a receiver hitch that I could install on a 1975 Country Squire? Obviously the junkyards would only have ball-type hitches.

    Looking to use a modern bike rack and/or hitch-mounted cargo carrier - not presently thinking about trailer towing.

    I've seen pix on this forum of squires with receiver hitches, but haven't found the part for sale at the web sites I have checked.

    thx
     
  2. MikeT1961

    MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    Messages:
    5,782
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Location:
    , Ontario, Canada
    Your best bet is to check out the manufacturers themselves, and see if there are any left over in the warehouse. 4 years ago, U-Haul, of all places, still had one hitch in stock for the 78 Thunderbird. Failing that, there are places that custom make hitches and they are about the same price. One word of advice. Weld or no drill bolt on Mount only. Do NOT get a Reese or other hitch that requires drilling through the rails and mounting the flanges on the bottom. First off, without load equalizing, they are Class II hitches, and in even a fairly minor crash, they can damage the frame beyond reasonable repair where a properly mounted hitch would leave the frame needing a simple pull on the straightener.
     
  3. n2fordmuscle

    n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1,595
    Likes Received:
    104
    Trophy Points:
    183
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Jasper, GA
    I think you'll most likely need to have one custom made. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out on Craigslist. You never know when one might pop up. Or, keep an eye out in junkyards. Not sure why you would think junkyards wouldn't have them. They've been making receiver hitches for a long time.
     
  4. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    That would be my first places to look. Around home and wherever you see a salvage yard. Many older wagons had a trailer hitch. Often that's why the owner bought them.
     
  5. Slidemanic

    Slidemanic Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2014
    Messages:
    368
    Likes Received:
    23
    Trophy Points:
    45
    Location:
    Northeastern USA
    I would like one on my '73 Ford Country Sedan.It has all the wiring for a hitch,so i think that what it had was one of those wretched clamp-on-the-bumper hitches 'way back in the day. Anyway, I noticed Wal-Mart has receiver hitches...As to why I am suddenly typing in Italics, I don't know.
     
  6. Slidemanic

    Slidemanic Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2014
    Messages:
    368
    Likes Received:
    23
    Trophy Points:
    45
    Location:
    Northeastern USA
    Oh,and if you have the bikes back there on a receiver-type device, it'll be tough to get the tailgate open either as a door or as a gate.
     
  7. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    Let's get hitched.

    Apparently older hitches are not easy to find. Son is looking for a heavy duty hitch for his 85 Chevy 1/2 ton. Wal-World has them for 86 and up and so far no junk yard finds.
     
  8. rrbnut

    rrbnut 1991 Mercury Grand marquis Colony Park LS Wagon

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2013
    Messages:
    1,218
    Likes Received:
    255
    Trophy Points:
    202
    Wagon Garage:
    3
    Location:
    San Diego
    I looked for about 4 month for the 76 Chevy Estate Wagon and no luck;bought a new one custom made to tow the boat; a bit pricey but then will last forever:):jumping:
     
  9. bl1416

    bl1416 Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2015
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    32
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for all the comments!

    I appreciate all the useful info from many posters, thanks!

    In response to the one posting, I checked U-Haul's web site. Interesting - they did not have one, but offered to custom-build a hitch for free if I would bring my vehicle in to their custom shop in Phoenix. (They would then try to sell the design to other customers.) I live 1000 miles away so I probably won't be doing that, but if I ever take the car to Phoenix i will keep that in mind.
     

Share This Page