My accelerator gasket was leaking last week so I replaced the diaphragm, no leaks. Started the car and she ran for about 15-20 minutes no problem, then she shut off on me. I could not get it started again. I checked the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb, no gas. I replaced the fuel pump yesterday, gave it a full tune up, change wires, spark plugs rotor and oil change with hope to getting her started and no luck! Checked the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump, got some gas out of that line, it was trickling. I'm at a loss right now not knowing what else to do. Do any off you guys have any input on what my problem might be? I read something online about a cam lobe screw? I also read something about a "sock" in the fuel tank? Anybody run into this problem? 1960 Ford Country Squire - 352- 4 barrel Carb. Original. Thanks in advance.
On your fuel sending unit there is a screen filter aka sock. These over the years can clog or squeeze shut. it isn't hard to do there is a retainer that holds it in knock it loose and disconnect the clamp and slide off the rubber hose and the whole unit should come out. Before putting unit back in put it in a pot of boiling water to clean it up. I did that in my '69 and it helped. here is a link for 5/16 size they also come in 3/8 not sure which size is for your car. https://www.autokrafters.com/p-1376-filter-fuel-sender-516-tube.aspx you should get a new retaining nut and washer they are pretty cheap
Thank you 390wagon. I will try as soon as I get home. I will let you know how it turns out. Should I expect fuel from the tank to drain?
It depends on where your sending unit is. If it is in the top gas won't come out. If is on the bottom you should siphon has out if it because it will spill everywhere.
I know this is super simple... but check the rubber hose between the hard line and the fuel pump. This line is down were nobody sees it, moves a lot and could develop a crack as it ages leading to a leak. Not a visible leak or the smell of gas, which would be easy to detect, but a suck of air leading to NO FUEL in the carb and a normal looking engine that won't start. I fell for this problem only once!
You replaced the carb accelerator pump diaphragm? I'd go back and go over the carb first. Is the carb squirting fuel when you look inside and pull back on the accelerator linkage? If not disconnect the fuel line at the carb and stick a can under the end then crank the engine and see if it's pumping gas, it will spurt out pretty good on every revolution. If it is pumping something's up with the carb. Make sure you have a vented cap on the fuel tank if you replaced it recently too.
I do not have a vent gas cap. The carb is not squirting fuel. There is not squirting from the new fuel pump.
Have you tried it with out the gas cap on? Also, it's happened to me....vapor lock, try some quick start or some gas poured down the carb. Just a thought
Gonna try reinstalling the fuel pump. I was just told that the arm on the fuel pump needs to sit under a pin which I was not aware of. Not sure I saw anything like that when I installed the fuel pump. Also I was told that I can take a gas can with a direct hose into the pump to see if it spits gas out which I think is what Blue Vista was talking about. I just want to thank all of you guys for chiming in. I'm really thankful for this site and all of you help. Going home now to work on the wagon. I'll let you guys know how it went. Thanks again.
Well Gentleman, I am please to announce that I got her going. She runs beautiful. After 3 days and a call to my father I so happens that I had the lines crossed. Thank you all so much.