How do you remove the large quarter windows?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by pvan, Jan 11, 2013.

  1. pvan

    pvan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    Messages:
    494
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    76
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Michigan
    Looking to purchase some spare glass for my Merc and I was wondering, what is the best way to remove the large quarter glass from a '68 (or similar) Ford/Mercury full-size wagon?

    Also, planning on doing this on Sunday, so quick answers are most helpful.

    Thanks for any help!
     
  2. fannie

    fannie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    Messages:
    12,071
    Likes Received:
    1,324
    Trophy Points:
    698
    Wagon Garage:
    3
    Location:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Is the glass set in rubber or urathane?

    If it is set in rubber you need to push out and pull down on the rubber.

    If it set in urathane you need to use piano wire to cut through the urathane.

    Good luck. :)
     
  3. DanR63

    DanR63 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    Messages:
    298
    Likes Received:
    23
    Trophy Points:
    50
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Mchenry,IL
    to add to that suggestion if you heat the wire with a tourch it cut through the urethane/butal chauk like butter.
     
  4. pvan

    pvan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    Messages:
    494
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    76
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Michigan
    Thanks for the tips. Set in rubber. Seals were bad, so I was able to just trim them back and pop the glass out. Now I have spare glass for everything but the windshield and should have that shortly!
     
  5. pjlmustang

    pjlmustang Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    153
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    70
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'll be pulling the quarter glass from a 69 ford country squire wagon at the end of April. Glass is set in gaskets. I'll take plenty of pictures. Phil
     

Share This Page