Help! '63 Bel Air tailgate lock cyl. rekey?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by BelAir5dr, Feb 28, 2013.

  1. BelAir5dr

    BelAir5dr Dismember

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    10
    Location:
    Carlsbad Ca.
    I'm getting down to the last details and I need to get a key for the manual tailgate glass crank lock.
    I bought one on line without a key thinking it would possible to get one made.
    Well, we (the locksmith & me) can't figure out how to get the cylinder out. It seems that the '62 style locks have a hole next to the slot like ignition cylinders, but the '63 does not. Does anyone have info on how I can get a key made?
     
  2. BillT

    BillT Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Messages:
    794
    Likes Received:
    171
    Trophy Points:
    140
    Location:
    Moneta, VA
    I would think that there would be some way to get the cylinder out, but if all fails, the only other way I can think of is to just try a bunch of different Chevy keys.

    If it was your own car, you could try an Ignition Switch, Door Lock, Glove Box Door Lock, etc, as many times they used the same key, but since you have bought it online, obviously that won't work.

    Bill
     
  3. teej

    teej Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2006
    Messages:
    730
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    75
    Location:
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Try another locksmith. Guy here can take a key and insert it, file it, insert it, file it....takes about 10 minutes but he can make a key without removing the cylinder.
     

Share This Page