Could you please push the Dodge in the garage....people might think it's mine!

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That really is a nice Roadmaster....but projects come and go. You'll find another wagon, guess the hunt is always part of the fun too. In the mean time, you've got the Dodge to work on........and there's always the Cutlass down at your friend's place........and did I notice the GTO still sitting in the garage? :)

2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep I have more than enough projects to keep me busy!

I got the Ram registered this morning, then filled it up ($85-yikes!), and took it to inspection, and it passed. Has all new window stickers and is legal!

Drove it in to work...when cold it took a while to shift, shifted high. I'd checked the transmission cold and it seemed full. Well checked it hot and in neutral and there was nothing on the stick! It took a quart of "Chrysler ATF+" fluid to get it to the top of the full mark. Seems to shift fine now, imagine that... Will see how it does after work once it's cooled off. I didn't notice any leaks under the truck, so hope it's fine.

Other than that, it's ok. The lack of FM and the one door speaker being out is driving me bonkers, and you SURE hear the engine fan while accelerating...and it does not ride like a Roadmaster..haha.

It is smooth, the seats are comfy, you sit way up high, the brakes are fine, I didn't hear any wind leaks, it does not rattle, and runs smooth.

We shall see...

-Mike

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  4. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well the transmission in the Dodge is still sick. I can’t gripe, I got the truck nearly free and knew it had been sitting dead outside for well over a year. It’s shifting too high from 1st to 2nd, and in many cases I have to let off the gas some before it’ll fall into the next gear even beyond that. Was going to try just changing the fluid and filter, but in looking online there seems to be a common problem with the “Transmission Governor Pressure Solenoid and Switch” on these trucks. Called the dealer this morning and they wanted $400 for the parts and $500 for the labor! I called Jerry’s Transmission parts here in Austin and found both parts for under $200. Dealers are INSANE.

Also found these two vids on the job. Hope it’s as easy as it looks, and that it fixes the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqjIH5XXcxg – The exact trans here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvl-_-vY6rk – Newer trans, but same setup.

Beyond this, I did get the 75W90 oil and limited slip additive for the rear axle changed out, and cleaned and re-packed the front wheel bearings. Found a bad ball joint when up on the lift, so will order some new ones….if the trans repair works. If the trans repair doesn’t work I may shoot it, because I’m getting to the bottom of my funds for this project……

I did get it on the highway going to the shop. It does go into all gears if you let off the gas a little. Went 70mph just as smooth as can be. All the gauges stayed normal, the cruise control works, and the a/c had no issues coping with the 90-degree day.

It'll be a nice vehicle if I can get all the rind off....

Little-by-little..

-Mike

5. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    Before you take it to a transmission shop or start messing with other stuff, check the cable that goes from the transmission to the throttle body. If it's kinked somewhere or loose at either end, it'll cause shifting problems much like the TV cable on an AOD or 200-4R/700-R4.

6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I hate those cables. Adjusted one wrong on an '89 Suburban and burned up the transmission.

I will look at the cable on the Dodge, but unless I see something obvious I'm not touching the thing. :)

7. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    Our Durango one was never hooked up when the engine was changed. We drove it like that for 20,000 miles or so and it was just laying on the intake, we didn't know, we just assumed the mechanic installed everything the way he took it apart, I couldn't even see the thing. It shifted 1-2 normally but 2-3 was IMMEDIATELY after that and it would shift to 4th at 45mph regardless of throttle position. I found the cable, put it on its post, didn't adjust at all. 31K later it's still fine, trans leaks a quart every 2K or so, maybe I'm just stupid lucky?

8. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's funny! Glad it didn't hurt anything.

Lots of people are telling me these transmissions are junk. I guess I'll find out pretty quickly.

9. wagonman76

wagonman76 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When one of my friends lived on the other side of the state, he knew a guy who rebuilt Dodge truck transmissions. He said the reason a lot of them burn up is because of some cheap plastic valve or connector in the cooler line that goes bad and blocks the oil flow. He just takes the stupid thing out.

I like the TV cable myself. Gives me some ability to make adjustments to the trans if needed. If the trans is getting old and harsh shifts, I can soften the shifts and prolong the life. When I was way young I had a beat up Celebrity wagon once with a broken TV cable. It was great. I had to shift it manually to get it going. But I could floor it in OD without it downshifting, and the carbed 2.8 that was normally completely gutless would now bury the speedometer quite easily. The car never did die, I drove it for quite a few years then I stripped it and junked it and got back double what I paid for it.

10. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Your Celebrity reminds me of my first Chevy Citation. Same 2.8 V6, and it too would bury the 85mph speedo...woo-hoo to be 17 again! Ha!

11. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know this is sure not a Dodge truck forum, but since I've kept you all in the loop, here is the latest.

Spent the evening at the shop working on the Dodge. New pressure solenoid and switch in the transmission, along with new filter and fluid. Found out the rear shoes were messed up, not wearing evenly and the drums were warped….explains the shaking when stopping from over 45mpg. Turned the drums and pulled the front rotors and turned them for good measure..wanted to re-pack the front wheel bearings anyway. Installed new shoes in the back, but re-used the pads up front, they still look new. Checked the front end, thought I was going to have to do ball joints but it just had a torn dust shield. Everything seems tight. Lubed everything and will take the truck for an alignment this weekend.

Ended all my work a little frustrated. Was all excited about the idea of taking the truck for a test drive, and I screwed up! Got “gun happy” with the impact and cross-threaded one of the rear lugs putting the wheels back on. It was of course too late to go get a new lug, so I beat the stripped one out and left the truck on the lift. Will be going at lunch to get a new lug and lug nut, and then back down to the shop tonight, and hopefully this evening I’ll have a running/driving Ram.

-Mike

12. Flasheroo

Flasheroo New Member

Miss You Buddy

Mike,the kid next door just spent the last three days rebuilding the
    steering on his 98 ram 4wd.Man was it a mess but I loaned him the
    correct tools and moral support.From the looks of the truck I thought
    it had a couple hundred thousand miles on it.When I looked at the
    odo it showed 77000 miles and he swears thats the original mileage.
    Hope your truck gives you better service if you keep it that long.Yo
    Alan whats happening stranger?
    Take Care
    Jim aka Flasheroo

13. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I know your a seasoned vet when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I have to ask....... did you hand tread the lug before you went "gun happy"?

I "didn't" do that once when I was a kid....the old timmers just about took me on a last hunting trip.

14. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Haha...think I was playing Nascar Pit Crew? :) I thought I put it on straight, but I guess not.

15. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's kinda scary. I've read the 4WD models get loose faster than the 2WD....hope that's true. This is my first Chrysler product...well other than the 69 Dart sedan I messed with a bit as a teenager. We'll see how it holds up.