which 80's model wagons have third row seats?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by faiths13, Apr 2, 2010.

1. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    the vanagon is a vehicle that blows my mind. it would have been easy for vw to put a normal 4 cyl in it, but they put in the old school lawnmower sized engine. must be a california thing....or do you folks have other vw's?

2. faiths13

faiths13 New Member

no, by muy hubby has had a bunch of 60 something buses before. i guess some ppl take the vw engines out and put subaru engines in, lol.

3. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Now that's an idea. Go for the six cylinder engine.:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

4. faiths13

faiths13 New Member

yeah i watched him work on that engine for a week straight once.:banghead3: im sure he would love to change engines when we get some extra $$!

5. faiths13

faiths13 New Member

does anyone know anything about the 89 mercury sable wagon? good car?

6. Cermo

Cermo the slow

Wagon Garage:
    My first car was an 89 Taurus wagon, but mine was a POS before it got to me. When the transmission went out, the mechanic I talked to told me those trannies were time bombs anyway... buuut I'm not gonna vouch for that guy so let's see what the experts say..

I miss that POS.:(

How's it look? I love the look of the 1st-gen Taurus/Sable wagon when it's not all rust, but they sure like to rust.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. faiths13

faiths13 New Member

Well i read some reviews last night and they pretty much all said the same thing - tranny is junk - so i didnt even go look at it. what about ford taurus wagons? i know ford makes the mercury wagon. does that mean the ford wagon is crap too?

8. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    Scary thing about the Ford Family of Fine Cars, is you get a good one or a bad one. No in between. Some are ready for the pile at 80,000 others are still running strong on just oil changes at 280,000.

As for the size of the Taurus/Sable wagon youll probably find more of those for sale. But for reliability and enjoyability you might want to look for the GM models that were that size, and also offered the rear facing seat. Chevy Celebrity, Buick Century, Olds Calais. They are easy to work on, parts are fairly cheap and plentiful. They are peppy cars and suspension upgrades can make them more fun to drive if you like sport suspension over the softer ride.

There also was a Chevy Cavalier wagon in the 80's to Early 90s that i havent seen anyoen mention. but i dont think you could get a rear facing seat in those.

9. Cermo

Cermo the slow

Wagon Garage:
    Well the available powertrains were the same for both models, so as far as reliability and driveability... yes.

The ones that go 280,000 on just oil changes are also the ones that weren't bought cheap by 19-year-olds who go all Beyond Thunderdome on 'em to make their friends laugh.

:sorry: Mirthwagen.

10. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
  11. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    May have already been mentioned, but some of the 80s Mercedes wagons had the 3rd seat, it was rear facing.... Volvos too... had optional rear facing 3rd seat.