cd's

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by a1awind, May 14, 2012.

1. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i was doing my grocery shopping at wal-mart last night (since i'm off mondays i usually go late sunday night because its deadsville and i can get in and out) as i was on my way out i stopped and browsed through the $5 cd bin. usually its nothing i want....ya know..some comedian that isnt that funny or a compelation of kids songs etc etc. there is a reason it ends up in the $5 bin. Anyway, i was digging through it...about to give up when i saw it...a must have for any classic rock collection....Fleetwood Mac "Tango in the night" so i grabbed it. i was thinking while i was driving home, that is the first cd i had bought in at least 5 years. everything is digital now.

i know some of us are the nostalgic type that look for vinyl or 8 track, but does anyone listen to cd's anymore? i bet none of us use cassette tapes. but i guess most of us have moved to satellite radio or mp3 players.

2. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I can't remember the last time I bought a CD besides from a local band at a live show.

At home the entire music collection lives on a file server in .mp3, FLAC or other electronic format.

In the car I still have a mix of regular CDs and .mp3 CDs with a mix of ~10 hours of music on each.

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would occasionally like to listen to music. I don't even know how to do that anymore???

4. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    you, my friend, need a satellite radio. 100+ channels most without commercials
    it plays music from different decades, genre's and styles.
    you can pick your channel by category and with the "ala carte" plan... you can just buy the channels you use.

they have a channels dedicated to the grateful dead, bruce springsteen, jimmy buffett, i have had it since 2002...and not once did i regret it!

5. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I prefer to buy the CD and then rip it to MP3 files for the iPod. The fidelity is usually better on the CD vs. an MP3 although the difference can be hard to discern. I used to do the same thing with records. I'd buy the vinyl and then transfer them to cassettes. If the tape wore out or got lost or tangled up, I'd just make a new one. Of course, the vinyl always sounded better than the tapes.

MP3 players have made the portability of an entire music library a breeze. Amazing stuff.

I do miss browsing vinyl at the old record stores though. Today's Internet downloading youth doesn't get to enjoy the cover art and extras like included posters, lyrics and liner notes.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't think so, Ian. I like to listen to what I want when I want.
    W88...good post....can I still just buy CD's and a decent player & speakers? I wish I still had my killer stereo with all my old vinyl! Hell....I even had some OLD records that you dare not drop!

7. wagonman76

wagonman76 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I love Fleetwood Mac. Tango In The Night was their best album IMO. I've got it on tape but someday I'll get it on CD.

I still use tapes. They're easier to practice to, and they don't skip on these beat up Michigan roads. I've probably got a few hundred. Something about the dynamics and the tape hiss makes it sound more real for the time the music was made. Same with the way people talk about the pops and crackles of records. It's nice that most people practically give tapes away these days.

I also have probably 150 CDs, most of which I bought when I got my first CD player at the end of 1997. I don't think I've ever bought a CD at full price. Either used or in the bargain bin. Same with tapes actually.

I've also got maybe 50 records. Most of which got handed down from my folks, and a few picked up from the resale shops when I find a good one.

Still can only get dialup internet so I don't get into I-tunes or any other music downloading.

Closest I get to satellite radio is DMX, which I get off the 10 ft c-band dish I still use for my TV.

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I rarely listen to CD's these days. I've got most everything right on this computer (although the sound quality sucks). Have satellite radio in the HHR, and will probably keep the subscription and get a Sat tuner when I get its replacement. Only when we take longer trips in the Explorer would we listen to CD's. Got a changer in that one. I guess the wife listens to them when she drives sometimes, since the console is filled with CD cases.....

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  9. Olds Weighty Eight

Wagon Garage:
    Sure. There are plenty of little stereos like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+60W+Compact+Shelf+System/2023536.p?id=1218305998105&skuId=2023536&st=stereo&cp=1&lp=1

Now you're dating yourself. Edison wax cylinders? :biglaugh:

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
  11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Is that a pretty good system, W88? I can't even dream of getting a system like I used to have...BUT... I would at least like to have quality sound throughout the range with good separation and decent bass. I would often play classical music as well as 50's 60's stuff.

12. Olds Weighty Eight

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know about that particular system. Just used it as an example of what you can find these days but I'm sure there are varying levels of quality out there. Go hit a couple stores as they usually have these set up where you can listen to them.

I still have my old-school stereo at the house with woodgrain Pioneer 3-way speakers & 10" woofers and even use it to supplement the 5.1 surround sound system on the TV.

13. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:

im a big fan of clarion. they have some good processors.

crutchfield has great prices on great speakers.

14. 1982caprice station wagon

1982caprice station wagon Racecar Driver

Wagon Garage:
    i know some of us are the nostalgic type that look for vinyl or 8 track, but does anyone listen to cd's anymore? i bet none of us use cassette tapes. but i guess most of us have moved to satellite radio or mp3 players.[/QUOTE]

i love em all! i have CD's, 8 tracks, Records (33's AND 45's), cassette tapes, mp3's ! and everything i just named, i have!! its kinda crazy cause im probably one of the youngest here!

15. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    i love em all! i have CD's, 8 tracks, Records (33's AND 45's), cassette tapes, mp3's ! and everything i just named, i have!! its kinda crazy cause im probably one of the youngest here![/QUOTE]

I believe you are THE youngest member, cap. And I find it heartening that you look to the past as well as the future.(y)